• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    I bought this gun and information from the internet indicates there are perhaps less than 3500 of these guns remaining. I would very much like to shoot this gun a time or two with a very light load just to say that I have. I have had people tell me not to shoot it and some saying go ahead. What is the best way to determine if this is safe to shoot and what type of light load should go in it? I believe it took a 2-1/2" paper shell originally. Appreciate any input.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I can't begin to answer your question, but I do know that the cowboy action shooters are into the old Winchester hammer pumps .
    If no one here can help you one of the cowboy action shooting forums may be a source .
    Shotgun World would also be a good place for info .
    It would be a good idea to have a reputable gunsmith to examine the gun regardless of what replies you receive on the net.

Shotgunworld.com ? Index page

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have read that the 1893s are not compatible with modern ammo. Maybe some light field loads , or light reloads, would be OK, but you best do some research first.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks Kalboy. I will check out the site. IndyGunWorks, I have no reason to think it would not shoot. I am choosing to err on the side of caution. The gun is 120 years old this year and in all I do, I use risk reward logic. I do not have experience with old guns to understand the risk. I am hopeful that from this board, I can learn from experienced people and make a sound decision. (Mark) Someone introduced me to RST Shotshells and advised me to get 2-1/2" 1 oz Superlites.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    My dad had one that he willed to me. He shot it the year before he died in a turkey shoot. It was his turkey shoot gun. They hand out 2.5" shells and he never had any problems with it. He used it because it won a lot of turkey shoots. I have not shot it because I don't do the turkey shoots with out him.

I probably will never shoot it. I have other shotguns to use. I keep it oiled and cleaned. If I was you and I wanted to shoot it I would take it to a gunsmith and see what he can tell you about it being safe to shoot or not. I would hate to see you shoot it and it go boom because of a weak spot in the barrel. Much cheaper to be safe than sorry.

antiquejd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Columbia City
    Thanks for the input 6mm. I completely understand your not shooting yours. I did antique tractors with my Dad and he is gone now also. Changes things. I have other guns to use. This one holds no sentimental value. I like the old guns much more than the new ones and like to occasionally exercise them.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The Winchester 1893 is the predecessor to the good old 1897. It was meant for black powder only, and was recalled and replaced by the 1897 that was designed for smokeless powder.

I would think that low recoil shells or black powder shells would be ok to shoot, but I would take it to a gunsmith for a once-over before I shot it.

Top Bottom