• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Now that I finally have appropriate sleeping bags and Thermarests for everyone, I am looking to introduce the family to winter camping over the next couple of months. Nothing major for now, but I am looking for decent places for weekenders within 1-2 hours of St Joseph county (close enough to home that a bailout is not a major hassle)

Ideally, there would be good lightweight hiking nearby (my youngest is just turning 5) or similar activity (I figure we can find a place to sled / tube along the way on any decent 2-3 mile trail.)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks, that toboggan run looks just right for the kids. That might have to be our next outing. I might have to get the kids cross-country skiing or wait for early spring to make Pigeon River work, but glad to know about it.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I second Pokagon, they don't have primitive camping sights but they have about everything else you are thinking. In my opinion the best sledding hill in the area is at the Ramada Inn ESE of the Park on 127. Just minutes away from the park. The Tobaggon track is great too. It is usually an insane place to be during the season, but people don't stand in line anywhere to winter camp. Have fun.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Spring Trip

Anyone go on a spring trip. Early pre-bug spring. Even cold weather spring. I usually set up a back packing or canoe run, but with the price of Gas I'm thinking maybe a car pool to the same area would be in order.

Top Bottom