• ...and so much more!
  • r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Home made bowling ball cannon - beyond amazing

So we just finished up our spring man weekend. A friend made a bowling ball cannon\ howitzer that was beyond awesome. Enjoy the video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHP5A0x6PE[/ame]

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have seen videos of bowling ball cannon/mortar before and wondered about the flight path. Bowling balls have a weight in the core. The weight can be symmetrical or asymmetrical (even pancake style). Part of what makes the ball "hook" or curve on the lane is the location of the finger holes and the off-center location of the weight. If the off-center weight changes the path of travel on the lane, what does it do in the air? Does the ball/projectile "hook" or travel on a normal arc? Either way, you can't help but grin when you see one these.

Edit: Silly auto-correct. It never guesses what I am typing correctly.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's common to drop the decimal point when talking about caliber, since it's understood that we're talking about decimal inches.

For relatively common or known rounds sure, but for an oddball (see what I did there?) it's useful to use the proper designation since from the title alone I initially interpreted it as a .859 :) AFAIK there is no SAAMI spec on bowling ball cannon.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't think the asymmetrical mass distribution would affect the path through the air much, as the ball is very smooth, especially if you were to plug the holes and smooth them over. It might cause it to wobble if you got it spinning much on the wrong axis, though. The bowling ball hooks on the lane because it's in contact, and has something to get some traction on, like a golf ball has dimples to get traction in the air.

Top Bottom