• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Regardless of the case material if it's boxer primed it's possible.

I've heard of people reloading steel cased 45acp, but never something with as high of pressures as 308. Doesn't mean it can't be done though.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    If it's boxer primed and steel you can probably do it... One thing I had heard from the guys doing the 45 acp cases was that the reloaded rounds would run fine through the original gun that the new ammo was ran through... Don't try to resize steel cases as you will just wear out your resizeing die prematurely... Steel doesn't resize...

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No, can you explain what you are after? That way I can do as you asked. I have the cases in a bucket up in my bedroom. Fired it, picked it up, put in bucket and left it in the bed room for future use.

-JD-

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Shine a flashlight and see how many holes are in the bottom of the case.
    If there is one big one, it's boxer primed, if there are a few small ones it's berdan.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh come now, you can still use the casing if it's berdan primed. Just use these instructions:

Decapping:
    Method 1 - Use a berdan decapping tool to dig out the old primer.
    Method 2 - Machine a metal rod to the proper width so that it can slide down into the neck. Fill the casing with water and hold the rod in the neck. With your other hand, knock firmly on the rod so that the resulting hydraulic pressure forces the old primer out. Keep a mop handy or work outside.

Priming:
    Method 1 - Special order berdan primers. Not sure where but surely someone sells them.
    Method 2 - With a proper swaging die, completely flatten the anvil located in the primer pocket. If the casing is made of steel, use a dremel or similar tool to scrape off the the anvil. Using a power drill, create a new flash hole. Your casing can now accept boxer primers.

In all seriousness, though, just throw berdan primers into your scrap bucket.

Top Bottom