• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    That is an excellent video. I was just commenting to Lars today that I should get really really good at shooting and learn to be a trainer, and then open up shooting courses that train girly girls like me about firearm safety, etc. But someone has obviously already thought of it. ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, from a RKBA perspective the more female instructors we have the better. Some women that I have talked to feel uncomfortable with male instructors (too militaristic, too stressful, too competitive, etc.).

Besides women have far more influence than we do, so the more female shooting instructors, the better.

How many hours of instruction do you have now, Pami? Good luck with your endeavour. Sounds like a worthy one.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Please don't laugh at me... ;)

If you read some of my other posts in the forum, you'll find I picked up a gun for the first time ever about two months ago, so I have zero hours of instruction in so far. That's my project for this summer and the next several years.

But yes, that's the impression that I get from many of the course descriptions I've read in trying to find "the right one" for me. I haven't yet found one for women who are afraid to even look at guns much less pick one up and learn to take care of it and shoot it in the correct general direction. I'm actually really excited about the one offered by the Boone County Sheriff's Department because (at least in the terms that it was explained to me) it really seems to focus on new shooters and really teaches the fundamentals that someone completely new to guns in general would need to know.

I think it's Shay who comments on this a lot... training should focus more on the mindset rather than the technical skills, especially for new shooters, and that's what I'd like to see. I would like to see more training classes that focus on why you shouldn't be afraid to be around guns; why they're not bad; and why the fear stems from irresponsible owners rather than the guns themselves. Once you get your head wrapped around that, it's a lot easier to move into the details of this is how a gun works, this is what can go wrong, this is what a lot of new shooters do wrong... Then you can move into the more advanced mindset concepts... Now that you have a gun and you're not afraid to touch it, let's move you into the "you're not afraid to use it" phase.

And yes, I think that women taking a class specifically designed for women would get more out of a class taught by a woman, especially one who came from the uninformed mindset I'm coming from rather than one who was raised with guns in the house and has never really understood the inherent fear that society is trying to throw at you about the dangers of firearms. (I've had friends that grew up with firearms in the house and never did understand my inherent fear of them.)

Don't get me wrong -- I know that men can teach as well as women, and I have yet to experience any real firearm training myself, so am speaking more from ignorance than anything. But based on other experiences I've had in my life: I learn more easily from female instructors, I absorb more of the lessons they impart, and I feel they understand my.. frustrations and mental blocks better. I can't imagine firearm instruction methodology being much different. Plus, you have the added bonus: I'm intimidated by men in general (I'm going to say it's my female, need-to-be-protected nature) and now we're throwing in an even more intimidating topic -- easily destructive weapons. Most women are more empathic/sympathetic than most men, so I can see why some women you have talked to feel uncomfortable with male instructors. They probably don't feel that the instructors intuited their needs well enough. Women need someone who understands why they are afraid, where they're coming from mentally, and what they can do to overcome those fears. Once they get out of the "newbie" stage, it probably would be easier to learn from a male instructor because they would have the "get it done" and "do it better" attitude (competitive?) that is necessary to drive a student to improve herself. :)

It was a flippant comment I made while we were out shopping earlier today, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that video when I logged in. I do better with specific goals, though, so maybe I'll give it much more serious thought and change my career path in a year or three. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most important skill of the triad initially is gun handling. That way you will not poke yourself in the eye or create new holes among those you care about or yourself.

Confidence will come with training. You will pick up the knowledge that you reference via training and osmosis.

Like most things in life you just have to jump in and start. Don't worry, you'll do fine.

Top Bottom