• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    This^ TAKE THE WOOD OFF!!!! Its not hard to do at all.Rep for the above post.Good site!
    +1 But it can be difficult to remove the band from the rear handguard, and the ferrule and spacer from the front handguard. You can oil the wood up pretty good with those left in place.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    Okay, went out and got some BLO this evening. Think I'll try this route. I've decided to try and do this sometime soon.

What's sad is, because of the weather, I haven't even shot this rifle yet. I figure if I'm going to do this, I should take it apart and finish the wood before taking it out and zeroing it.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    +1 But it can be difficult to remove the band from the rear handguard, and the ferrule and spacer from the front handguard. You can oil the wood up pretty good with those left in place.

I concur. :yesway:

It seemed to me that messing with these two little pieces of metal was more trouble than it was worth, and the chances of damaging them or the wood went up incrementally the more I farted around with them.

So I didn't!

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I concur. :yesway:

It seemed to me that messing with these two little pieces of metal was more trouble than it was worth, and the chances of damaging them or the wood went up incrementally the more I farted around with them.

So I didn't!
    I even have the special pliers for getting the rear handguard band off, and STILL managed to chip the wood under the band (not too bad though). The problem with removing the front ferrule is bending the tabs on the spacer to get it off and on. Those tabs are only going to bend so many times before they snap.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    So, it's okay to leave the rings on the handguards? I'm not sure I understand some of the terms that are being used for some of the parts.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    So, it's okay to leave the rings on the handguards? I'm not sure I understand some of the terms that are being used for some of the parts.
    Yes. The clip or band that holds the rear hand guard to the barrel can be left on. The rear hand guard is relatively fragile, so no need to risk splitting it trying to get the band off without the correct tool. The ferrule is on the front of the front hand guard, right behind the stacking swivel on the gas cylinder. It can be left on, since you need to bend the tabs on the metal spacer to get it off. Don't want to snap those off.

Top Bottom