• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Has anyone heard about Wyoming has just passed? From what I have heard they passed a bill allowing concealed carry WITHOUT a liscense, I think that is a great step forward in these liberal times we are going through.:ar15:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From what I have heard they passed a bill allowing concealed carry WITHOUT a liscense

Yes, but there is still a proficiency test of some sort. So, instead of a license Wyoming will have you carry your diploma?:rolleyes:

I don't think this is what you want it to be. "Proficiency testing" is inherently dangerous and open to abuse.

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Barrister Freeman, in an earlier post you spoke of: " "Proficiency testing" is inherently dangerous and open to abuse. "
    I would hope that we could agree that not everyone in America should be able to posess a firearm. I'm specifically thinking of someone that's got an IQ of say, less that 40.
    Can you provide us with a reasonable plan for responsible firearm ownership guidelines?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    you provide us with a reasonable plan for responsible firearm ownership guidelines?

I know this wasn't addressed at me...

But it's the whole "reasonable plan" that is the problem.

Define reasonable.

It's different for me, different for you, and different for Kirk.

In America, the default setting (if you will) is for freedom. Attaching qualifiers for one to practice their freedom (that should be there by default) really isn't freedom.

We do not have reasonable plans to exercise our freedom of speech. Nor do we need reasonable plans to exercise our freedom of religion.

We do not have reasonable plans in place to keep us from illegal search & seizure.

We SHOULD NOT HAVE REASONABLE PLANS to keep us from our Second Amendment rights.

Talk of "reasonable plans" is the very very very slippery and steep slope of "Gun Control".

Besides, in your example, an adult with a functional IQ of ~40 will, most likely, have been adjudicated as "mentally incompetent" and thus already be barred from at least buying firearms (from an FFL)

One only has to look at the Brady Bunch and their wishes for "reasonable plans" (read: gun control) to know that they're all infringements upon our RIGHTS.

-J-

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Barrister Freeman, in an earlier post you spoke of: " "Proficiency testing" is inherently dangerous and open to abuse. "
    I would hope that we could agree that not everyone in America should be able to posess a firearm. I'm specifically thinking of someone that's got an IQ of say, less that 40.

Can you provide us with a reasonable plan for responsible firearm ownership guidelines?

What Indy Guy said. I get into this debate with my dad all the time. It usually ends with me asking him if he feels comfortable with the government at any level having full knowledge of how many guns he owns, buys, and/or sells.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    am pretty sure that New Hampshire doesn't require permitting for residents.
    I wouldn't expect anything less from the Live Free or Die state

To open carry, you are correct, river.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

Avoid prior restraints and focus on behavior (dangerous mental illness, criminal behavior, reckless behavior) rather than possession.

IMHO, I believe that like the First Amendment there may be time, manner, place restrictions that would pass constitutional muster, e.g. you cannot go target shooting in a city's downtown, or you cannot carry in a jail or the judge's courtroom if he or she so orders.

I believe more must be done to positively influence the gun culture in the public-private funding of gun safety and handling so that responsible gun ownership becomes acculturated to all of society. Change the culture, change the world.

The problem with proficiency licensing is the testing can be abused (like the reading test to vote in the South . . . in Chinese) and constitutes a tax on a civil right.

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Indy Guy 77, it's interesting to hear your point of view, and of course, it's welcome!
    I hope that you and I can disagree without becoming disagreeable.
    I do not believe "everyone" has the right to firearm ownership.
    I do not believe that every concievable firearm should be available to every person.
    I do not believe the 1st ammendment gives you the right to yell "fire" in the picturehouse.
    I'll add this about Wyoming. Ever BEEN to Wyoming? Waaaay different place that Vermont. I STILL see rifleracks in pickups in Wyoming, I'd be surprised if the same laws work in both states.
    PS, I STILL believe 18yos should be able to buy 3.2 beer, man I miss 3.2 beer.

Top Bottom