Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :welcome: to :ingo:, there ifacfp.

I've got a XDm-40 and I don't think there are any cons. It always goes bang when you want it to. It's more accurate than I am (I need to practice more). And when it comes time to clean, it's very easy to take down.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've got the XDm 40 in Compact. I kind of wish I'd gotten the bi-tone, but otherwise, I really love it. I also have a Gen4 G23, and by comparison, the XDm feel like a sponge soaking up the recoil. It's not quite as easy to take down as the Glock, but still really simple, just a flip of a lever. It's a crazy sweet and accurate shooter that doesn't give you that "Glock Trigger Finger" feeling when you squeeze off a brick of rounds.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    what are the pros/cons of springfield XD?

Yeah, get the XDm. It has a couple more bells and whistles over the standard XD.

I've got the XDm 40 in Compact. I kind of wish I'd gotten the bi-tone, but otherwise, I really love it. I also have a Gen4 G23, and by comparison, the XDm feel like a sponge soaking up the recoil. It's not quite as easy to take down as the Glock, but still really simple, just a flip of a lever. It's a crazy sweet and accurate shooter that doesn't give you that "Glock Trigger Finger" feeling when you squeeze off a brick of rounds.

None. Which one are you thinking? If you decide to get an XD-S, make sure it's post recall. I own one, and no it didn't make it shoot different.
    I've also owned an XDM 3.8 and I'll have another one in the 3.8 compact version. The M is worth it in my opinion
    as stated by Indynic.
    If you want another safety aspect over a glock for instance,the XD pistols have a grip safety like a 1911.
    Also I've never had a failure of any kind with any ammo as GFGT said.
    Bi-tone is better in my opinion too. Had one of each, no more black.
    Not sure why it would seem harder to take down than a glock though. Maybe hopper is just used to glock.
    Takes me less than 10 seconds to strip mine down without hurrying. << which there would never be a reason to do
    I don't believe.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    They are stupid accurate. Only con I can really think of is they aren't made in the good ol US of A if that bothers you any, it doesn't me. I love my XD9

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    XD9sc. The only problem I've heard about is failure of striker retaining pin under a lot of dry firing. There are replacement pins that aren't supposed to have that problem. I've never experienced it, just read about it, so take it for what it's worth.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    what are the pros/cons of springfield XD?

You can't really get a solid answer to this question without stating your intended use. Carry? Competition? Home defense?

For the purpose of my answer, I'll assume carry/home defense

Cons?

Definitely the grip safety. It's absolutely unnecessary in a striker gun and prevents you from using your thumb to keep the slide in battery should you need to shoot with the muzzle buried in someone's midsection.

Other than that, they're great pistols. They seem a little top-heavy to me, but it was the grip safety that bumped them off my short list for carry guns.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    XDM's are great. The extra things are match bbl/slide, better trigger, extra back straps to fit your hand size. They will work with SWC ammo ,where XD's will not-in case you reload. The mags do not interchange with XD's -only in 45acp they do. Good luck If you have a 40 you can get 357 Sig/9mm conv bbls Many aftermarket parts, triggers, sights, grips, etc.

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    the only weak point is the striker retaining pin, IF you do A LOT of dry fire, I mean thousands of times.

but, the gun will still function with a broken pin, and it's a simple 50 cents upgrade to a spiral pin.

one of the great things about the XD/XDM is they have been out for few years, there are a lot of aftermarket support for them already, such as night sights, optics, triggers, lights, grips, mags, etc.

if you have a 40 and want to shoot .357 sig, all you have to do is to get a barrel.

SA's customer service is always fantastic.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    the only thing i don't like about the xd is how much play is in the trigger, wish they would make it a little crisper

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The XD9 was my first after thinking about a G19 for a long time. There was not a bad choice between the two, but I am very happy with my choice. It's comfortable in my hand, has been extremely reliable and I like the addition of the grip safety along with the trigger safety. It doesn't take any thought or extra movements to disengage when ready to fire. The XDm are great as well, but I struggled to justify the extra cost over the XD. Good luck and enjoy!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Kramer
    I looked at a NIB XD9 at the show today. Saw one for $425.00 I've been feeling remorse for not giving that thing a new home ever since I left. Probably won't find one at that price around here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can't really get a solid answer to this question without stating your intended use. Carry? Competition? Home defense?

For the purpose of my answer, I'll assume carry/home defense

Cons?

Definitely the grip safety. It's absolutely unnecessary in a striker gun and prevents you from using your thumb to keep the slide in battery should you need to shoot with the muzzle buried in someone's midsection.

Other than that, they're great pistols. They seem a little top-heavy to me, but it was the grip safety that bumped them off my short list for carry guns.

I wouldn't go that far. For this guy it could have prevented an ND: Indiana police chief accidentally shoots self at gun shop

You list it is a con, I list is as a pro. It totally depends on training and perceived risks.

One thing that is a con on the XD (not the XDm) is the need to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun.

Also, I find the XD .45 a little harder to get a follow up quickly. The muzzle does flip more than some other guns. Too top heavy?

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Got an xd40 and an xdm45 (both full size), love both and no issues with either. I personally like 2 safeties and carry the 40. If it's for carry I would go for the xd40. Target go xdm.
    Both more accurate than I am that's for sure but I think the xdm has the edge in that category.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have carried a XD9 service for the last 5-6 yrs(the same one). It is reliable, comfortable to shoot, easy to carry. The grip safety is a non issue with me, you will engage it when you grip the gun to shoot it. It points natural for me. The only con is that it is not made in America, but I have ancestors from that part of the world. It is the only handgun that I am not willing to trade.

dthm03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    fort wayne
    Been shooting a standard XD for about 5 years. Its my fav and also the most accurate one I own. The only con...you'll shoot it a lot so you will need more ammo. =)

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    I got my XDS (in .45) at the 1500 last week and my only beef with it is what chezuki said, other than that, it's a pretty awesome little gun. It's a bit snappy on the recoil, but thats to be expected with such a small gun shooting something so big

Top Bottom