• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the PMC X-TAC? Does it compare to the XM193 in accuracy?

I've been looking at picking up a case or two and would appreciate any input. Most of which will probably be stored. They are $5 difference in price right now so think of it as equal :) I have found quite a bit of info on the XM but not so much on the XTAC.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've shot a little over 100 rounds out of my 24" SS 1:9 barrel AR and I find it to be on the less accurate end of the spectrum compared to most other commercially available .223/5.56 ammo. I have not, however, had the chance to compare it directly with XM193 so I'm sure this doesn't really help you with your exact question. I can say that it will put a bigger dent/ crater in my ar500 steel than any other round I've shot it with. (including 91/30 Mosin, M1 Garand .30-06, and handguns).
    Don't know if that helps.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I am just getting into a new AR and don't want to blow $600/1k nor run the cheap steel $180/1k. Both of these being brass and in line with the budget make them appealing.

So they seem to be a hard hitter but not as accurate? I appreciate the input!

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I believe the X-TAC that SmileDocHill is talking about is steel core ammo as XM193 is just a FMJ ammo. Its not that it hits "harder" it has an armor piercing component to it. If I am not mistaken all PMC X-TAC ammo is armor piercing or a M855 military spec round.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I believe the X-TAC that SmileDocHill is talking about is steel core ammo as XM193 is just a FMJ ammo. Its not that it hits "harder" it has an armor piercing component to it. If I am not mistaken all PMC X-TAC ammo is armor piercing or a M855 military spec round.

I may have it wrong, this is the stuff I'm referring to that put a tiny crater in the steel (that I bought from the INGO supporter) rather than just chipping the paint like the other rounds.
    PMC X-TAC .223 62grn SS109 20rd Box

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Yeah that stuff is steel core ammo. It will dent ar500 and after time it should puncture it. The green tip denotes that it is steel core and it should say on the box also.

I may have it wrong, this is the stuff I'm referring to that put a tiny crater in the steel (that I bought from the INGO supporter) rather than just chipping the paint like the other rounds.
    PMC X-TAC .223 62grn SS109 20rd Box

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    That's the stuff. I went ahead and ordered some. I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully it's not too bad accuracy wise. It should make for a good zombie behind a street sign round. Thanks again for your feedback and repped for the help!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got some of it as well. I bought it as a cheaper alternative to buying SS109 or M855 ammo. Its loaded to SS109 spec if I remember right. I haven't gotten to test it for accuracy yet. But seems like good stuff so far.

ChromeLined

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I bought a case but havent fired any yett.
    I opened around ten boxes, visually all of the primers appear to be the same depth, and the brass is pretty compared to other mil spec brass.

Its to good to be true or else Iv found my new 5.56 ammunition supplier

Top Bottom