• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I ordered a set of XS Big Dot sights yesterday for my Glock 27.
    Questions:

Is it as easy to get the rear sight off as it looks in the XS demo on youtube?

Does it usually take a lot of filing to get the initial seating into the dove tail for the rear site?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I ordered a set of XS Big Dot sights yesterday for my Glock 27.
    Questions:

Is it as easy to get the rear sight off as it looks in the XS demo on youtube?

Does it usually take a lot of filing to get the initial seating into the dove tail for the rear site?

Short answer, No. Your rear sight will tap out with the punch provided. I tell guys to use a little drop on the front sight threads as drowning it in the loctite will prevent it from coming off ever. So just a teenie tiny bit on the threads..

Don't go crazy with the file if you have to, I go 1 or 2 strokes on a file with light pressure and try to fit at a time. 90% of time I don't have to use a file at all, they slide in with bit of finger pressure. Degrease and again 1-2 drops of the red stuff on the bottom of the rear..

They do take a bit to get sued to but once you use them for a week, they rock..

USMC1811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I quess I better get the vice out of the shed. In the demo the man lend the slide in his hand and tapped it rear site out. I did not think it would be that easy.

Thanks for the advise on the filing. I would really hate to over do it and have to buy a second set of sites.

I like to try new stuff, so I figured this is a first and I better ask for advise.

Thanks for sharing.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    oops, I had a typo, I should have said the demo man held the slide in his hand while tapping to remove the rear site.

I use padded jaws in a vise to make it to make it easier on me. Most of the new Glocks I've put them on haven't needed filed at all. I install 2-5 sets of these a week on various guns..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    oops, I had a typo, I should have said the demo man held the slide in his hand while tapping to remove the rear site.

Don't forget you can always click the
    edit.gif
    button to go back and fix a mistake.

:ingo:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I just held the slide on a soft 2x4 with the rear sight hanging over the edge. The plastic punch works, you just have to be careful. Great sights. I'll be putting them on all my sights.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I just held the slide on a soft 2x4 with the rear sight hanging over the edge. The plastic punch works, you just have to be careful. Great sights. I'll be putting them on all my sights.

I'll cut you a deal on multiple sets for your guns. I'm trying to get them to make me a Big Dot hood ornament...

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have installed probably a dozen or so sets of XS Big Dots while at various shooting ranges. No vice is needed.

The stock plastic rear site taps out very easily. If you have to file the new rear site, file a small bit and test. It normally doesn't take much fitting if any.

Top Bottom