• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlmx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    "First" side arm. Own a few long guns. And after a necessary/impulse buy and long drawn out research on the "right" go to, CC weapon I purchased a Glock G19.

Now I have to dump something else. But I have about 45 more posts here before I pursue that :):

I have almost 30 years of experience with long guns. That includes training with an M16 in the military. Many hours at both public and mil ranges.

But, literally, one magazine worth of rounds through a mil issued .45.

Any recommendations for a virtual side arm rookie?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Watch some vids on proper grip technique. Metal night sights, I like ameriglo hackathorns. Enjoy!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Fundamentals of Marskmanship are the same for long guns and handguns: sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, follow through.

The difference with handguns is that you have fewer points of contact with you body and it's more challenging to press the trigger directly to the rear without disturbing the alignment of the gun than with a long gun. Proper grip can be of great benefit in accomplishing this task consistently.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Owned Glocks for some time now, I've never changed a thing! Enjoy ur new 19!

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Congrats on your G19. Once you've gotten used to the trigger/reset, you will be good to go.

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    Congrat. I bought a mag plug, and glock oem extended mag release. Because I have small, tiny asian hand. Each time I go to release the mag I had to turn my thumb inward even more to push. But other than that, its all stock.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Great first choice in a handgun. I have owned a g19 for many years now and it's always been a great gun. I'm not a big fan of the factory sights so I put tritium night sights on mine (meprolights). Good luck with your new gun.

Top Bottom