• ...and so much more!
  • Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I took the Gunsite 150 course in Lebanon last summer. I was wondering how similar it is to the Yavapai Stage 1 Handgun course. Anyone know if Gunsite 150 would fulfill the Stage 1 prerequisite in order to allow me to take Stage 2 Handgun?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I took the Gunsite 150 course in Lebanon last summer. I was wondering how similar it is to the Yavapai Stage 1 Handgun course. Anyone know if Gunsite 150 would fulfill the Stage 1 prerequisite in order to allow me to take Stage 2 Handgun?

First, Louis Awerbuck is the best.

Gunsite 150 would probably be fine for you to go into Stage 2 handgun, but you should not dismiss doing Stage 1. How both of those classes progress depends on the students who are attending and sometimes the Stage 1 moves faster and covers more than the Stage 2. When I'm able to take a handgun class from him, I will do whichever fits my schedule better, as I don't think the "stage" matters as much as some do.

Ultimately you should contact Louis and ask. If you email, you'll be talking to his partner (and boss), Leigh Lambert. She'll be able to answer all of your questions.

If you have the time, I'd consider doing the Stage 1 and Stage 2 back to back. The only thing better than three days with Louis is six days with Louis.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Couple of follow-up questions.

1. How nuts would it be to take stage 1 and stage 2 back to back from a stamina standpoint (50 yr/old decent shape :):)?

2. Know really nothing about AR carbine. Is the Handgun/Carbine class novice enough or would I be the guy that holds everyone back?

3. Anyone take the Stage 1/2 and Handgun/Carbine back to back to back?

I think I am having a mid-life crisis and trying to expedite my bucket list.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Couple of follow-up questions.

1. How nuts would it be to take stage 1 and stage 2 back to back from a stamina standpoint (50 yr/old decent shape :):)?

Depends on how hot/humid it is and how you do being on your feet for about eight hours a day in the heat. Doing both or more classes back to back is not unusual. If you're concerned, you might want to consult with Louis/Leigh.

2. Know really nothing about AR carbine. Is the Handgun/Carbine class novice enough or would I be the guy that holds everyone back?

Handgun/carbine is not a great fit for novices to training in general. Being up to speed on the handgun part makes a huge difference if you don't know a lot about how to operate your rifle. One guy won't hold the class back because Louis won't let that happen.

3. Anyone take the Stage 1/2 and Handgun/Carbine back to back to back?

I know several people who do that every year.

Top Bottom