• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm in the early stages of planning a week in Yellowstone and looking for advice, as it's been 20+ years since I've been there.

The plan is to fly into Bozeman and rent a car. We'll likely stay in Hilton properties just outside the park and not be tied down to one hotel for the week.

What did your trips to Yellowstone look like?

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I was in Yellowstone this July/August, very surprised it was not crowded at all, though Bison gave a total of 1.5 hours of standstill on the road. We did the north loop, not really to visit, but we did sight-see. Mainly to get from Cody, WY to Idaho Falls, ID. If you go after mid June there should not be any closed roads due to snow. Go during the week, there will be slightly less people in the park. Don't be a Touron!!! We been over Beartooth a half dozen times and another half dozen times it was closed due to landslides and snow (in August!) Going over Beartooth Highway, there will be no trucks or RVs, usually no traffic at all. We seen moose, elk, bear, wolves, bison, marmots, you name it on that route.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cut and paste I posted last month:

I think I've mentioned it, but if you rent from Budget and don't sign up for Fast Break you are wasting so much time. Bozeman didn't have a fast break area, but you got your own line. I waited for 1 person to finish as opposed to probably 50+ people. Small, but busy, airport. Very nice, though. Quietest airport I've ever been in.

We had a *very* fun trip to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the Moon, Caribou-Targhee, (National parks/monuments/forests) as well as Jackson and Cody WY. Stopped by CostCo in Bozeman first thing, which took care of most of our meals for the 9 days. We ate breakfast out twice (split an order of pancakes on the first morning and then I ate at the airport on the last day, wife just wanted coffee), lunch once (burgers in Yellowstone), and light dinner once (potato pizza in Idaho because HTF do you not try potato pizza in Idaho?) Lodging, as expected, was the major expense.

Yellowstone is *BIG* and it takes a long time to drive from one end to the other with the distance, speed limits, animals in the road, and gawkers gawking at animals near the road. And construction near Lamar Valley. We stayed at several different places so as to avoid the constant looping.

West Yellowstone Montana - Westwood Motel
    Silver Gate Montana - Silver Gate Lodging
    In the park- Lake Lodge

Then went to Jackson, WY and stayed a few nights to see Grand Tetons, then Idaho.

Sept was an excellent time to visit. Somewhat lighter crowds, animals more active, good weather. Popular sites are busy but if you hike 15 minutes or hit some of the trails in Lamar Valley you won't meet many other people. It was a lot of seniors and tour bus riders on a week day during school, so they aren't getting much past the main tourist attractions.

We ignored the advice to go early to bypass crowds. We slept in and went late. Saw the last Old Faithful eruption before sunset, for example and the viewing area was very lightly attended, maybe 50 people tops. We *tended* to be going the opposite direction of traffic except in Lamar Valley where traffic is always clogged due to bison in the road, construction, etc as mentioned above.

It was a great trip, enjoy it!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Cut and paste I posted last month:

I think I've mentioned it, but if you rent from Budget and don't sign up for Fast Break you are wasting so much time. Bozeman didn't have a fast break area, but you got your own line. I waited for 1 person to finish as opposed to probably 50+ people. Small, but busy, airport. Very nice, though. Quietest airport I've ever been in.

We had a *very* fun trip to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Craters of the Moon, Caribou-Targhee, (National parks/monuments/forests) as well as Jackson and Cody WY. Stopped by CostCo in Bozeman first thing, which took care of most of our meals for the 9 days. We ate breakfast out twice (split an order of pancakes on the first morning and then I ate at the airport on the last day, wife just wanted coffee), lunch once (burgers in Yellowstone), and light dinner once (potato pizza in Idaho because HTF do you not try potato pizza in Idaho?) Lodging, as expected, was the major expense.

Yellowstone is *BIG* and it takes a long time to drive from one end to the other with the distance, speed limits, animals in the road, and gawkers gawking at animals near the road. And construction near Lamar Valley. We stayed at several different places so as to avoid the constant looping.

West Yellowstone Montana - Westwood Motel
    Silver Gate Montana - Silver Gate Lodging
    In the park- Lake Lodge

Then went to Jackson, WY and stayed a few nights to see Grand Tetons, then Idaho.

Sept was an excellent time to visit. Somewhat lighter crowds, animals more active, good weather. Popular sites are busy but if you hike 15 minutes or hit some of the trails in Lamar Valley you won't meet many other people. It was a lot of seniors and tour bus riders on a week day during school, so they aren't getting much past the main tourist attractions.

We ignored the advice to go early to bypass crowds. We slept in and went late. Saw the last Old Faithful eruption before sunset, for example and the viewing area was very lightly attended, maybe 50 people tops. We *tended* to be going the opposite direction of traffic except in Lamar Valley where traffic is always clogged due to bison in the road, construction, etc as mentioned above.

It was a great trip, enjoy it!
    Excellent advice, thanks! I rent with National, as my corporate rate is unbelievable. $319 for the week vs $1,367 for the off the street price. I don't think until have the Emerald Aisle there so I may just go ahead and reserve a Tahoe in advance.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Top Bottom