• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    First off, I, personally, do NOT assume it won't be built properly. You'll note that I was asking about what are the best questions to ask the folks to make sure that it IS done properly.

Secondly, the impression from my friend is that the people are not necessarily the best examples of reasonable and responsible people. Given that my friend has limited firearms experience, I'm willing to accept that his impressions may not be 100% accurate. However, he's the one with the kids and living there.

Thirdly, any location is easily searchable and once the shooting starts, there'll be plenty of folks who will "know about" the guns. I realize that I forgot to remove the road name labels and have corrected that. That's why I didn't just link to the maps.

Lastly, I advised my friend to talk to them and ask about the safety measures and the calibers they plan to use as well as the downrange direction.

Really lastly, it seems that the consensus is that, while possibly legal and possible to do properly, our safety concerns are valid and some conversation about it should happen. Since I've only had experience as a user of ranges or large tracts of rural land, I wanted to make sure he and I were reasonable in our concerns.

First,
    so I highly doubt that it'll be lined or anything..

second, what gives you or your friend the "impression" that his neighbors aren't "reasonable or responsible people"?
    My first assumption about these people, without meeting them or knowing anything else about them, is that most people with a nice piece of property are usually at least fairly " reasonable and responsible people", at least until they show me otherwise!

Third, I stand by what I said, I would be pissed off if I found out people were talking about me and my property ( with pictures and street names) on the Internet and speculating as to my ability and/or right to build a range, as well as my mental ability to make sound judgements!

Fourth, you are right, he should go to the property owner and ask about the guys plans, as I mentioned earlier!

Lastly, your concerns ARE valid! Your friend should be VERY curious and concerned about anything going on around his home and family, no argument here!!!

I just thought that a lot of people were jumping to conclusions about this guy going out in a pole barn and firing all kinds of weapons through sheet metal walls at the highway and the homes around his without taking appropriate precautions !

You are both right to have concerns and questions for this guy, I just think they should be brought to him personally. You should go talk to him with your friend, who knows, you might end up with a new shooting buddy!

anyway, good for you for looking out for your friend!

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    even if they do everything right, and thers a stray bullett with-inn miles thru no fault of their own,, from someone else plinking,,guess whos on the hook...

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    Talked with my friend and I'll say that the safety concerns are based on first hand knowledge of factors that would preclude firearm ownership in the first place.

With that in mind, how about suggesting that he call in a noise complaint the first time and let the po-po have a sniff, so to speak? I'm not one to take that as a first step, but if there are, um, questionable activities going on, I'd want to stay the heck out to avoid any guilt by association, ya know?

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    That first time he hears "pebbles" bouncing off his walls/roof, he'll perk up real fast. Biggest caliber I'd use in a barn is .177, unless I had a actual need to kill a varmint. Always got to plan for worst case scenarios, which could include a friend grabbing a rifle and shooting in the air.

Top Bottom