• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At 70, I gave my grandkids each one of my grandparents cast iron pans that I have used for years. Today's kids don't have a clue how to take care of a good cast iron pan. Throw them in the dish washer, Never seasoned them. Even after giving them detailed instructions. Plan on collecting them back. Get them some microwave cook wear.
    This. When Grandma died, I got one of her cast iron skillets, my cousin got the other. Both antiques, one of which is rumored to date possibly civil war era.

I later found out she left it in her detached, unconditioned garage for years. It rusted so she thought it was ruined so she threw it away. :faint:

And I;m pretty sure mine isnt the older one. :crying:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    ---- $400 --???? -Its just cast iron! --Thats Yeti for you - Buddy just bought a Beer can holder for $40 - He said it will keep his beer cold for hours -I said when has a beer ever lasted longer than 10 minutes? -- he couldn't answer me
    My brother has both yeti and wm brand beer holder, he told me the wm brand works just as well or better than the yeti.
    So I bought the wm brand, bottle beer will stay cold in it for every bit of an hour

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can always just wait until they show up somewhere. I always watch for them and have a few to clean and season now.
    First picture is a griswald that was a garage sale find covered in rust at one time. Because it is not as heavy the wife loves that one. Unknown cost but under 20 most likely much under.
    Second and third pic was a find at a gag rage sale this week. Unknown maker but old. The lid is nice. What I would call a chicken fryer. Cost total 18 dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_8070.jpeg
      IMG_8070.jpeg
      309.9 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_8069.jpeg
      IMG_8069.jpeg
      435.6 KB · Views: 13
    • IMG_8068.jpeg
      IMG_8068.jpeg
      345.2 KB · Views: 13

MidwestLife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2023
    Central Indiana
    I always preferred cast iron over chemical coated "non-stick" skillets. However, back in the day Lodge was the new brand, but their finish wasn't the mirror smooth finish like the older brands. The older brands could be found in flea markets, on-line, etc., but prices and condition would vary. I actually made an electrolysis kit years ago and it actually worked well to blast off a few areas of rust. My biggest issue is that I'm not a big food person or in-depth cooking type. If I want a hamburger at home, I'd rather grill it over lump charcoal than cook it in a pan. I've never made fried chicken, though I'm am considering trying that. I prefer turkey bacon over pork bacon and turkey bacon doesn't seem to create as much grease. Basically with my style of cooking, my pan never really got a good dose of fat/oil to where it would develop a nice patina. Eggs would also stick, etc.. So for a while I went to ceramic.

Recently I found a Staub enameled cast iron pan on a decent sale (just one color for some reason) at Macy's. I purchased it, it finally came in (back-ordered was a few weeks), and I really like using it. I do use some cooking spray and oil it, but it works better than any of the Lodge skillets I used in the past. Very smooth finish on the surface.

I think it is cool that all kinds of new companies have jumped into the cast iron arena, though some of the prices are just too steep for me at this time. Maybe if I get into making my own fried chicken at home, I might consider getting a decent cast iron pan with some depth to it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I prefer turkey bacon over pork bacon
    iu

Top Bottom