Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here let me save you $300

you want to know how the top level shooters are 3-5 seconds faster
    this is the number 1 reason
    [video=youtube;MlSZUSIj2NA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSZUSIj2NA[/video]

you can only shoot as fast as you can get acceptable points, but this is the biggest time saver that many of us miss
    now the key to make this work and not pull your second shot off, is to be able to call that second shot and know that the sights/gun (depending on how near or far the target is) were on the target when the shot was fired and then move the gun to the next target

He breaks it down more in this video

[video=youtube;oar1AYeYtDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oar1AYeYtDU[/video]

Last edited:

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good videos Jake. I been recently trying to learn how to use the recoil to get on the next target. I was watching this video of Rob Leatham doing it on the plate

[video=youtube;_PQ1wpUybHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_PQ1wpUybHs&app=desktop[/video]

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    ****, this is high level stuff. Will need lots of ammo and range time for this to get the muscle memory.
    muscle memory some, but more visual awareness...
    you need to get to a point that you mind is reacting to what you are seeing before you actually realize what is going on
    example, you are on target firing and something that you see doesn't seem right and you automatically react and fire a make up shot, almost like it was subconscious.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks for many shooters is being unable to believe that they can learn to see the front sight lift in recoil. Some get through that disbelief and some struggle for a while. People that choose to believe that the faster shooters are always firing two shots without a second sight picture will never get it because their paradigm of the "hammer" won't let them.

Another aspect of speed and accuracy that comes into play here is that calling your shots helps you understand that it's not "speed OR accuracy" nor is it about "slowing down" if your accuracy is subpar. It's about being patient enough to wait until you have enough visual information to break the shot and then wait until you have enough visual information after you press the trigger to move onto something else, whether it's another shot or driving the gun to the next target. Then, it's about not waiting any longer than that ... do the next task!

DISCLAIMER: I am not fast nor am I exceptionally accurate. I preach much better than practice.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks for many shooters is being unable to believe that they can learn to see the front sight lift in recoil. Some get through that disbelief and some struggle for a while. People that choose to believe that the faster shooters are always firing two shots without a second sight picture will never get it because their paradigm of the "hammer" won't let them.

Another aspect of speed and accuracy that comes into play here is that calling your shots helps you understand that it's not "speed OR accuracy" nor is it about "slowing down" if your accuracy is subpar. It's about being patient enough to wait until you have enough visual information to break the shot and then wait until you have enough visual information after you press the trigger to move onto something else, whether it's another shot or driving the gun to the next target. Then, it's about not waiting any longer than that ... do the next task!

DISCLAIMER: I am not fast nor am I exceptionally accurate. I preach much better than practice.

This has come up before and I know I've said that if you believe you can't see the sights lift in recoil, you're right. There's nothing happening that's happening so fast you can't process it, you just have to get the filters in your brain out of the way.

When you learn to see the sights lift and call the shots, fast transitions become easy. At that point, the hard thing is having the patience to NOT transition until you're done with the target/shot at hand. As soon as you've seen enough of the sights lifting to call the shot, you're eyes should be finding the next target. As soon as you've found your target, you should be aligning the gun.

At that point, inaccuracy even at high speed comes from 1) not finding the target (the A zone, not something brown), 2) not having patience to align the gun before firing, 3) not having patience to wait until you've called the shot before pulling off to the next target, and 4) trigger control.

The eyes should be on the next target before the gun. "following the bouncing ball" and "riding the recoil" work if the targets are right next to each other but will wreck your transition if it's wide.

having the transitions be the same as the splits is a great training tool, but isn't the goal. I've see a lot of folks try to make that the goal and will break a shot in a match even when they know they aren't aligned. a couple hundredths of a second of patience can mean the difference between a D (or M!) or an A.

Patience is not a virtue I posess and it shows in my shooting. Most of my Ms/Ds come from starting the transition (or reload or movement) before I've called the last shot in the array.... if I don't call it, then a hit is usually just luck!

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This has come up before and I know I've said that if you believe you can't see the sights lift in recoil, you're right. There's nothing happening that's happening so fast you can't process it, you just have to get the filters in your brain out of the way.

When you learn to see the sights lift and call the shots, fast transitions become easy. At that point, the hard thing is having the patience to NOT transition until you're done with the target/shot at hand. As soon as you've seen enough of the sights lifting to call the shot, you're eyes should be finding the next target. As soon as you've found your target, you should be aligning the gun.

At that point, inaccuracy even at high speed comes from 1) not finding the target (the A zone, not something brown), 2) not having patience to align the gun before firing, 3) not having patience to wait until you've called the shot before pulling off to the next target, and 4) trigger control.

The eyes should be on the next target before the gun. "following the bouncing ball" and "riding the recoil" work if the targets are right next to each other but will wreck your transition if it's wide.

having the transitions be the same as the splits is a great training tool, but isn't the goal. I've see a lot of folks try to make that the goal and will break a shot in a match even when they know they aren't aligned. a couple hundredths of a second of patience can mean the difference between a D (or M!) or an A.

Patience is not a virtue I posess and it shows in my shooting. Most of my Ms/Ds come from starting the transition (or reload or movement) before I've called the last shot in the array.... if I don't call it, then a hit is usually just luck!

-rvb

You are an erudite and perceptive individual, sir.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Very good. JMO, liked the Rob Leatham clip just a 'wee' bit better. Preference, of course. YMMV.

It's a concept I attempt to convey when teaching, that the shooter HAS 'the time'. Or perhaps, 'has plenty of time'. Speed is a 'perception'.

This is where the, perhaps often misunderstood, idea comes in to "Think fast, shoot slow". It's not that the shooter is slowing down, it's that they're training their mind to be so fast that their actions 'appear slow' in comparison.

In actuality, what's happening is that the shooter is thinking so fast, so far ahead of their physical actions, that THEY feel like they're 'shooting slow', even if their times are ridiculously quick.

Martial Arts tend to learn this somewhere around 'mid-belt' levels (say Brown Belt, for most martial arts). 'Shredder guitarists', etc. pick up on this as well. It's simply a matter that the mind can act (think) much faster than the body is physically capable of moving. So, the person is simply "thinking ahead", and with the more proficient, way ahead.

The earlier on the student can 'internalize' this (as opposed to just 'knowing' it), the better, regardless of the task. Some just learn it, or pick it up, earlier than others.

This is where we try to tap into the students life experience. The student is usually very proficient at... something. Martial arts, music, laying shingles or bricks, or whatever. That internalized proficiency can be crossed-over to benefit their shooting skills, as well.

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Sporky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Fort Wayne IN

-rvb

Exactly!
    I am just learning this all from scratch, so I can tell you that seeing the sights really lift for the first time was a pretty cool experience.
    The drill you told me, blasting into the berm with no target, was a real eye opener for me.
    It was the same thing when I was learning to drum. Break the complex into simple easy to learn chunks....then combine when you have it down.

Top Bottom