• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    i think i would like it if someone was kicking in the drywall....then i would know EXACTLY where to fire the shotgun.

Glock_Breaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What about kids? A 500 pound door would do a lot of damage if a kid managed to slam their finger with it.

If it's an upstairs bedroom, would you need to reinforce the floor as well as the frame, or would it be okay?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Cool door. What if the intruder looks like this?

fire.jpg

or this?

flood%20house%20pic.jpg

Not saying it's a bad idea at all. Just wanted to understand what all you're trying to do with it.http://pasc.met.psu.edu/PA_Climatologist/extreme/Floods/flood house pic.j

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I don't know what kind of door it is, ...

It's likely an architectural hollow core door. Most are constructed of two thin door skins, one on each side, glued to an on edge pattern of corrigated cardboard (i.e. often "structural" paper, but materials and patterns vary) on the inside to give the door it's thickness. Wood strips are glued to the edges between the skins and a block is glued between the skins for mounting the door knob. Some use foam blocks as supporting fillers, but as you've intuited, the door is not very strong - being mostly air.

Any solid core door will probably do what you want, but you need to reinforce the jam on many doors, that's often the weak point. You can buy a vault door if you have money to burn, or if you really want a "safe" room. Depends on the level of security you're looking for.

Personally, given my layers and plan, I'd just get a solid wood door (or a sturdy solid core door w/wood veneers), reinforce the jam, and mount 2 deabolts (1' down from the top and 1' up from the bottom). A door like this is more secure than typical drywall wall construction. No point in more security, imo, unless you're going to the point of reinforcing the walls as well.

As a side benefit, you'll get more fire resistance from a solid door; anywhere from 20-90 minutes depending on the core material.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I made a poor mans option to that monstrosity of a door. I went to lowes and bought a 7ft length of angle iron and two heavy duty dead bolts. I also purchased some metal piping in the same diameter of the dead bolts. Went home removed the jamb, cut out two holes for the deadbolts and sized the piping to the holes. Put the angle iron on top and secured with nails and hex screws. Also the door is metal with a heavy wood core (but not so heavy as to deflect my 12ga hps!) All in all it cost around 60 dollars and can take a beating from my 6'6 260 pound butt without evn budging

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately I have a cheap apartment door. I left it open in my last apt, but I moved last week into a bigger one since the lady moved in with me. She brought her cat, so the bedroom door stays closed now to keep him out. I'm not happy about the situation, but we're upstairs, and it's a good area in Greenwood. :/

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Behind our bed room door, is a device that wedges under the door knob and sticks into the carpet on the floor. It is pre adjusted and read to pop into place. This will slow them down. I've told the wife that if I'm not there and someone is coming in, to lock up in the bed room. If she can't get the door closed, but can grab the heavy metal rod, then beat the living crap out of them with that until she can get the door closed.

Then if they proceed to try to get through to door, help them out by trying to weaken it with copious amounts of 00 buck, loaded in the Mossy 500.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was thinking about my home defense plan today. And I figured one of the most important part of the plan was the "safe room." My safe room, would be the master bedroom. The goal for everyone is to keep the intruder/s from getting into the safe room. I have a few loaded pistols in the bedroom, along with a 20 gauge for my wife to use. I don't think I have a bad plan.

But, I can think of a weakness to my plan. The door itself. I don't know what kind of door it is, but it's one of those light weight ones you can purchase at Lowes. You just trim the door to fit it into your doorway. Plus, there's no lock on the door.

I'm curious on how to have a stronger door/barricade.

What kind of door do you guys have for your bedroom? Do you have a lock? What about a deadbolt? What are your thoughts?

My bedroom door is a solid core exterior door (exterior doors are thicker than interior doors, mine is solid wood, not foam core) on 4 solid brass (not the thin stamped crap) hinges with extra long screws holding them in place. There is an exterior deadbolt in addition to the standard locking knob. The deadbolt receiver in the door frame is steel and screwed in with 4" screws that go all the way into the supporting double 2x4s around the frame of the door. The deadbolt receiver itself is also extra long and extends several inches above and below the deadbolt to spread the impact from breaching attempts across a wider surface area. The hinge pins on my door are on the inside.

I'd bet that someone would break their shoulder long before they break that door.

We live in a rural area, outside of city limits, county response time has taken as long as 45 minutes to get out here for an alarm call.

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    We have a couple safe words for the bedroom and we've had to use them once or twice but we haven't gotten around to messing with the door other than locking it on occasion.

Top Bottom