• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My 'philosophy' is to select a spectacular bullet, determine a suitable chambering with which to drive it as fast as is reasonable, then select a rifle with a mag box and throat that allow the above bullet seated in the above brass to reach the lands in repeater configuration. So my rifles currently start with something like a 75 AMax, 85 TSX, 105 AMax, 162 AMax, 30 Scenar....thats pretty much it.

Then depending on what I plan to do with the thing the other parts fall in line. For a fixed position rifle maybe a #4 contour, or #5 on a boomer. Stick with sporter weight on factory barrels. Maybe a laminate stock, or heavy fill McMillan A5 if I have one. For a hunting/walking around/utility rifle I tend toward LW contour barrels, an McM Edge or standard filled MR. Either way, cut the barrel to achieve proper balance.

Mount a good quality non-moon scope in good mounts, so Talleys for the latter and Seekins for the former unless I have something else laying in front of me.

There are a slight handful of stock rifles that fit into the above. The majority make useless concessions: pointless weight, bad balance and handling, bendy stocks, tight mag boxes, bendy actions, fragile, too many bolt lugs, lousy recoil lugs, etc etc.

Wow.

winesnob.jpg

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've never enjoyed doing things halfway, and I'd rather have one good rifle than 10 dozen lousy ones.

If it came down to cutting my own hair I could get the rest of the way through life with a single Kimber Montana in 243AI and a stack of spare barrels.

Top Bottom