• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Hey Guys,
    I'd like for you to think about this and give me you ideas, opinions, knowledge, insight, etc. on something I have been thinking about. I've never seen one (that might be a clue :rolleyes: hmmm...) but I have been thinking about the feasibility of a portable range made out of a 53' semi-trailer and tractor. I believe it would give me about a 15 yard range when all said and done. Obviously it would be plated, top, bottom and sides, and a catch type backstop put in.
    Building it would be no problem for me as I have the equiptment. But, it would take a bunch of plate! But the weight wouldn't be an issue.
    I thought it might be a cool deal for taking it places for stuff like- NRA instruction, maybe Boy Scout training, gun shows where people could check out a used gun before they buy, gun shops could have a special week/weekend deal and use it, etc.
    Now, this is only something I have been kicking around and chances are there are probably drawbacks but, when isn't there!!??!!?? Every great invention or idea has had it's hurdles. I'd just like to know if any of you have ever saw one, Know of any, know of any drawbacks or pitfalls, permits, legal issues, etc. OR, if you think it's a good idea and have any suggestions. I have a basic plan down but I'm always interested in other people's thoughts.
    Anyway, if you would be so kind, take a minute and let me know what ya think. I'd do a Poll if I knew how. :dunno:
    Thanx a bunch!!
    Chaz

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Sounds Like a great idea, not sure on laws or permits though. If it is legal I think it would be a great training tool, and a lot of fun. Id be interested in seeing it happen.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    There is a 'new indoor range' in Clinton, IN that is exactly what you're talking about.

an enclosed semi trailer shipping container converted into a pistol range, complete with HVAC, ventilation, target carriers, and a bullet trap at the far end. Its a pre-fab setup that a gunshop owner put in recently. They delivered it, just dropped it on a slab, hooked up the electric and ready to go.

Last edited:

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Dang.
    Oh well, I thought I could do something to help further our sport and maybe make a buck in the process. I wasn't really considering selling them (unless of course someone wanted it! :rolleyes: :D) but mainly to drag around and rent or lease it out to people or organizations that could use it.
    I'm still going to put some numbers together to see if it's feasible.
    And you're right, sloughfoot, "what to charge"? I have messed that up MANY times and basically given stuff away. (actually well known for being "too generous"................... unfortunately :dunno:)
    I'm still open for ideas and suggestions!!!
    Thanx a bunch!!
    Chaz

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    There is a 'new indoor range' in Clinton, IN that is exactly what you're talking about.

an enclosed semi trailer shipping container converted into a pistol range, complete with HVAC, ventilation, target carriers, and a bullet trap at the far end. Its a pre-fab setup that a gunshop owner put in recently. They delivered it, just dropped it on a slab, hooked up the electric and ready to go.

Where is this range located?
    I'm from the area and get back regularly to visit family

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    First thought is that I imagine you would hit those restrictions against discharging firearms inside city limits in most places. You'd have to get special permits wherever you hauled the thing or just park it out in the country.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

Where is this range located?
    I'm from the area and get back regularly to visit family

McDonald Lake Rod and Gun club, over by Spendel's meat packing

Thanks

I'll check it out

It is not open usually in Winter. You have to catch him at the shop. It is also a restaurant in the Spring/Summer. There is a small incline that can be treacherous to get up in the winter. It is near where Mom took out the row of mailboxes when she first got her Fusion.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    It is not open usually in Winter. You have to catch him at the shop. It is also a restaurant in the Spring/Summer. There is a small incline that can be treacherous to get up in the winter. It is near where Mom took out the row of mailboxes when she first got her Fusion.

Briar Hill
    It's tough to stop at the bottom when it's slick.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    One of the things local municipalities ARE still able to regulate is the DISCHARGE of firearms. You would have to know the laws of any town, city, or village you went to.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    The local cops here said that this may not be something that the city's have thought of, yet, and that would be a in for allowing such a rig to be used. They said it would more than likely be looked at as an "indoor range" with the same regulations. The cops also said they would LOVE to have one come to town to be able to do their quals in. They actually wanted to buy one but way too pricey.
    Looks like I keep looking into it. :)

Top Bottom