Yugo 24/47 Mauser in Winchester 70 LA Stock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    Hi Guys,
    This past fall I got a real nice Yugo 24/47 Mauser from a friend. It's a great piece but I can't deal with the iron sights, etc. I will be putting it into a new stock and adding a LER scope, etc. so I can do better target shooting and possibly deer hunting in upper Michigan with my brother. Let's not start discussing "sporterizing a Mauser" here; that's not my point. :D I will be sporterizing it - and keeping all the original extras so I can go back if I want to.
    My question is: Do you think I can make the Yugo action / barrel fit into a Winchester 70 LA (long action) stock. I know the Yugo is a large ring barrel with an intermediate length action - 7 5/8" screw centers. The Win70 LA is also within a smidge of 7 5/8" center to center. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money buying a Boyds stock or any of the others that take forever to deliver. I can however acquire a Win70 LA stock for relatively cheap and have tools, time to modify the stock.
    What do you think? :dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the barrel channel wont be a problem you can just sand out some to make it fit and free float it, or if it already fits your gtg. my consern would be the bolt. the stock will have a notch out for a model 70 bolt and be inletted for the 70 action. you could cut inlet it for the mauser (i would think) and bed the action, but if the bolts cutout is in the wrong spot that could be a issue.

ddewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    42769vette,
    Thanks for the quick response and insight. I wasn't planning on modifying the Mauser bolt - it is not a bent style now. The used Win 70 stocks are available with either a notch for their bolt or not. I'm not picky if the stock has a notch that I won't be using. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that I will be adding pillars as necessary and bedding the stock.
    From what you are saying, I may be good to go??
    Has anyone seen this done? I cannot find reference on the net.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If you want to put enough effort into it, it can be done. You will have to put in a pillar for the rear tang hole because within a smidge of 7 5/8" won't get it. It will not be pretty when you are done though,because there are enough differences that you will have some gaps. Your biggest challenge will be around the magazine box and trigger guard.

Top Bottom