• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    What's everyone getting for group size out of there ammo for longer range prs 22 matches. I've not went past a 100 yds but can get 5 shots in a 1 inch group so far just curious what kind of groups are needed for longer ranges for a rifle and ammo combination to be "competitive " and being shot by a new to the sport shooter

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    A . . . . I repeat. . . .A group.

If you are MOA at 100 consistently you are definitely in contention. A rifle and ammo combination that shoots MOA at 100 is the ticket. Then you have to learn to read wind.
    You are correct about reading wind. The group he fired was during zeroing for a local club annual match held at 200 yards. After firing and spotting each shot to get centered he fired a 5 shot 1 inch group at 200 yards with virtually calm wind conditions.
    The match was held 2 weeks later on an overcast day with twitchy variable winds.
    The course of fire was prone with a sling, no bipods or rests allowed, 20 shots at 200 yards on the SR42 highpower target with a 4.56" ten ring and 1.9" X ring with targets pulled and marked individually (working pit highpower range). His score was 198 with 7X and the group was about 2.25 MOA. He was high .22 shooter that day. No mirage was present to help read wind and the wind flags consistently contradicted each other.
    He normally shoots that rifle at local club 50 yard smallbore matches where he consistently turns in scores of 398 to 400 out of 400 with 30 to 36 X. Typical groups are under .6 moa at 50 yards.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Something I've learned from silhouette (both handgun and rifle) is that groups from the bench are not indicative of groups from position. Not a slam...but I encourage anyone following this thread (including deer hunters) to see what kind of groups they can shoot from positions encountered under competition conditions.
    It does me no good to assume I will shoot as well from an unsupported standing position in competition, when all my testing and sight settings are based on sandbags testing from a bench.
    Again, not a slam, but an educated opinion based on real life experience.

Top Bottom