• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Nothing wrong with straight blowback. I'd take a roller lock or radial delay over a blowback, sure, but not for 2x-3x the cost. It's a 9mm carbine, not a battle rifle. Recoil should not be an issue for most.

Although if someone has a line on a CMMG Banshee for a couple hundred bucks more than a PC Carbine or Beretta CX4, I've got a finder's fee for ya.

:)
    It's not about the recoil...at least not completely.

No, the recoil of a blowback gun is not at all unmanageable. But it's much higher than it needs to be due to the heavy bolt required to cope with the 9mm in a straight blowback system. All that mass travelling back and forth creates bounce and increases time between followup shots. A delayed or locked system allows for a much lighter bolt, and creates a much smoother and flatter recoiling system. Speed and fast target transitions is a huge part of the appeal in a 9mm PCC, so the extra cost is worth it in my mind.

If we're specifically talking about AR-style rifles, there are also other downsides to a straight blowback gun. The system was not designed for a solid bold like most blow back designed use, and employing one defeats the built-in out of battery protection designed into the AR platform. Straight blowback also relies on properly balanced springs and buffer weights that are tuned to the ammo, otherwise it can short-stroke and cause hammer-follow and doubling.

A system like the CMMG RDB design leverages a rotating bolt in a carrier just like the original AR design, it just eliminates the gas system. As such, it retains the out of battery protection from the original AR design and the lighter bolt and buffer provide a broader margin for error before the gun would short-stroke.

Yes, you can get a straight blowback gun that works, and you can get some that are tuned to run very well. But a locked or delayed system solves many of the inherent shortcomings of a blowback design, and is a mechanically superior solution IMO.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Hi folks,
    I'm interested in 9mm carbines; to those of you with experience in this area, what sorts of considerations ought I take when researching/shopping? What do you know that a rookie doesn't?
    Thanks in advance!
    Consideration #77: It needs to be good-looking enough to take out into public!
    Aero Precision EPC-9 in FDE and Black!
    Ballistics Advantage 10.5" heavy barrel.
    Very accurate and a very sweet shooter!

bMq8CSE.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a Ruger PC 9mm backpacker and I like it. I thought all 9mm rifles were just a dumb idea until I had to start routinely dispatching varmints in the last year or two and the 9mm does a better job than a 22lr. I was honestly shocked and taken back when I shot mine for the first time because it recoiled more than I expected. It wasn't bad by any means, but I was shocked at how much that little 9mm kicked for what it was. It's not the most accurate thing in the world, but far from the least accurate too. It's just a good functional 9mm rifle that folds up and fits into a small backpack very easily that's good for country living household chores. For what I paid for it I don't regret it, but had there been an HK MP5 for the same $$$ I'd have chosen that.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Nothing wrong with straight blowback. I'd take a roller lock or radial delay over a blowback, sure, but not for 2x-3x the cost. It's a 9mm carbine, not a battle rifle. Recoil should not be an issue for most.

Although if someone has a line on a CMMG Banshee for a couple hundred bucks more than a PC Carbine or Beretta CX4, I've got a finder's fee for ya.

:)
    I went with the KynShot hydraulic buffer. Makes a noticeable difference over a standard one.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I went with the KynShot hydraulic buffer. Makes a noticeable difference over a standard one.
    For folks interested in the KynShot here's an article about them:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer made purpose built 9mm carbine than the beretta CX4. Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, has military and police provenance under the MX4 name.

Conversely get a Liemohn MFG colt DOE clone upper and build a colt DOE clone. Because it has the cool factor
    lG0j1ks.jpeg

Apparently PSA will be selling a full clone build of it soon too.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    The reason the 9mm blowback AR has a reputation for harsh recoil is that the 9mm bolt is too stinking light due to the confines of the AR upper. Just can't make the thing heavy enough, but for $15 you can swap in an 8oz buffer and it'll be fine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The reason the 9mm blowback AR has a reputation for harsh recoil is that the 9mm bolt is too stinking light due to the confines of the AR upper. Just can't make the thing heavy enough, but for $15 you can swap in an 8oz buffer and it'll be fine.
    And the wrong size buffer can make the gun not cycle properly.
    I had a colleague buy a 9mm carbine. Manufacturer put a standard 223 buffer in it. It would cycle, but it wouldnt do so reliably. Lots of FTEs jams, etc.

Once he put the correct buffer in, it worked flawlessly.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer made purpose built 9mm carbine than the beretta CX4. Cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, has military and police provenance under the MX4 name.
    Plus One (+1) for the Beretta CX-4 Carbine!
    The wife has a Beretta 92FS and loves it!
    When she wanted a 9mm carbine that matched her Beretta, is when I discovered the CX-4 carbine, and she fell in love with it!
    Matching caliber and magazines with a very pleasant felt recoil that is amazingly accurate at distances out to and exceeding 75 yards.
    I actually liked it too and ended up getting a Beretta 92 Centurion (I prefer a DAO trigger) and another CX-4 carbine to go with it!
    I've actually taken the CX-4 to dispatch ground hogs at mom's farm!
    Nuthin' survived it...and it was fun shootin' too!

Top Bottom