• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I am still very new to the site and I have been fortunate to meet a lot of nice people through marketplace. I will be the first to admit I am not perfect, however I have noticed that there are some that completely ignore conversation messages or any offers, etc when they are trying to sell. Without breaking a rule and posting “READ YOUR MESSAGES” in the ad, I don’t know what to do. Also, people not marking their items sold which is frustrating. I know the Mods are busy enough managing other things and don’t want to bother them. Anyone else have any issues or suggestions?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    It's kinda like asking a girl out. If you send her a message and she leaves you on 'read' then that's your answer. No one has to sell to you, no one has to reply to your offer no matter how reasonable you think it is. Sometimes people just aren't interested or are busy. Send your message, and if they reply cool if not, move on.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Happens more that people think. Kinda a normal thing no matter what salses forum platform your on..
    What's very frustrating is having it happen 2 times in less than a month. Message someone and 3 weeks later they come back just to bump their item..look at profile and it showed the member was only bumping his fore sale item for months. Another member after weeks, said he was busy and the item was sold but did have another he would sell.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you message someone and they don't reply, that is their choice. If you message someone and they say the item has sold but the ad is still up, you need to report the ad to moderators. That is against the rules and we will follow up on that with the seller. If their inbox is full, you can also message the mods to try to ask them to clean it out, but do not post in the thread for their ad. That will usually end with a warning for breaking the rules.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Put an expiration on offers you make. That way you won't have a seller "accept" your offer after a long wait.

A rule requiring a seller to respond would force sellers to have to answer some ridiculous offers.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If these folks thing INGO classifieds are bad, they should try Facebook Marketplace.
    Oh don't even get me started on FBM.... I always responded to messages when I sold. They may not have liked what I responded with, but they at least got a response. A couple **** you ******* when I told someone who was new, with no posts of substance and a paid subscription that I did not sell to people that were not established. I don't sell anything now so it's not a problem.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I won't respond to lowball offers or people who are incapable of comprehending what is in the sales ad. For instance, if I list a rifle for sale "rifle for sale, no trades, meet in Hamilton county". Almost everytime I will get a message "hey, you wanna trade for this PSA AR15 that is 1/3 the value of your rifle?" or "hey, would you be willing to meet up in Bloomington?". It's annoying and an immediate red flag that the person is a moron who will be a pain to deal with by being a lowballer, tirekicker or will ghost you at some point.

You want a response, then make a realistic offer. Even then some people won't respond for whatever reason, don't take it personally and move on.

Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I think the biggest problem I have is that when I look at the message I have sent and it says they “never” looked at it, just irritates me. I will concur that it may be annoying to get a low ball offer as I have, but not responding is just poor form. I will always thank them for the offer and politely decline. It is really more about starting a conversation to making a deal and I would never begrudge someone trying to get something they really want. How terrible is it that society has lost the ability to communicate effectively and politely. I’m not an all rainbow and puppy dog view of world kind of guy, but I miss the days when we could all talk or disagree without making someone angry or offended. Lashing out and finger wagging seems to be the normal and I usually do ignore that.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I think the biggest problem I have is that when I look at the message I have sent and it says they “never” looked at it, just irritates me. I will concur that it may be annoying to get a low ball offer as I have, but not responding is just poor form. I will always thank them for the offer and politely decline. It is really more about starting a conversation to making a deal and I would never begrudge someone trying to get something they really want. How terrible is it that society has lost the ability to communicate effectively and politely. I’m not an all rainbow and puppy dog view of world kind of guy, but I miss the days when we could all talk or disagree without making someone angry or offended. Lashing out and finger wagging seems to be the normal and I usually do ignore that.
    Personally, I have email notifications of PMs turned in, so I can see the message before I read it on INGO and it shows "read". I do respond to them all though.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I always start out my visit here by clicking "What's New".
    If my screen is littered with a string of WTS or WTT, all by the same member, I click on the member's profile and look at their messages.
    IF their messages are almost entirely WTS, WTT or WTB posts, I click to ignore them.
    If they have a good many other posts, besides in the marketplace, I let them slide and don't hit the ignore button.
    I said all that to say this, members may not be ignoring you out of spite or meanness.

Reale1741

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I hate FBM with a passion. People obviously forgot how to read on there. I start every ad on there with "I WILL NOT RESPOND TO "IS THIS STILL AVAILABLE". IF YOU SEE THIS AD, IT IS STILL AVAILABLE." Still I get many messages asking if it is available. Then people get mad and message me again if I don't respond. I guess you can't fix stupid... or laziness.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I hate FBM with a passion. People obviously forgot how to read on there. I start every ad on there with "I WILL NOT RESPOND TO "IS THIS STILL AVAILABLE". IF YOU SEE THIS AD, IT IS STILL AVAILABLE." Still I get many messages asking if it is available. Then people get mad and message me again if I don't respond. I guess you can't fix stupid... or laziness.
    I put the same in my fb post and get the same thing. Fb gave people a helping hand making them lazier by giving 1 click responses buttons.

Top Bottom