• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This just emphasizes the point that the only legal Militia is that which is authorized and raised by proper authority and under the cmmand of the Governor or his representative.

Just like the American Colonial Militias and all the Militias up to the War between the States.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Actually, the various State Guards. In Indiana it is the Indiana Guard Reserve. Unpaid volunteers equipped and trained under orders of the Adjutant General. The National Guard has evolved into a force that is no longer under total control of the Governor.

In WWII, my father was a member of the Minnesota State Guard. As a 17 Y/O, he was issued a shotgun for guard duty of various assignments.

I have also read accounts of the duties performed by the Georgia State Guard during WWII. They were disbanded late in the war after it was clear that the other side was pretty much beaten.

In Allen County, two of the legal Militias are the Allen County Police Reserves and the Ft Wayne Police Reserves. Nobody that I know of thinks of them in this way, but they are raised, trained and equipped by proper authority. They can and will be called to duty in case of an emergency.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Actually, the various State Guards. In Indiana it is the Indiana Guard Reserve. Unpaid volunteers equipped and trained under orders of the Adjutant General. The National Guard has evolved into a force that is no longer under total control of the Governor.

In WWII, my father was a member of the Minnesota State Guard. As a 17 Y/O, he was issued a shotgun for guard duty of various assignments.

I have also read accounts of the duties performed by the Georgia State Guard during WWII. They were disbanded late in the war after it was clear that the other side was pretty much beaten.

In Allen County, two of the legal Militias are the Allen County Police Reserves and the Ft Wayne Police Reserves. Nobody that I know of thinks of them in this way, but they are raised, trained and equipped by proper authority. They can and will be called to duty in case of an emergency.

The Guard Reserve is a supply/support force, they do mostly radio communications and stuff. I have worked with them a few times........ I was only ever impressed with one of them. Last I heard and or saw they are not an armed force, they are a support force.

Indiana Guard Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Guard is still under the Governor... period.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

State Sen. Randy Brogdon, R-Owasso, a Republican candidate for governor who has appealed for tea party support, said supporters of a state militia have talked to him, and that he believes the citizen unit would be authorized under the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

The founding fathers "were not referring to a turkey shoot or a quail hunt. They really weren't even talking about us having the ability to protect ourselves against each other," Brogdon said. "The Second Amendment deals directly with the right of an individual to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an overreaching federal government."

Uh oh, call DHS, we have a right wing radical terrorist in OK's state Legislature!!!! :runaway:

:patriot:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    National Guard? Federally funded, based on federal property, under federal control with just a word? Hardly a state militia, and hardly under the control of the state, unless the feds give permission for it to be.

Ask anyone in the guard who their boss is, they will tell you Daniels then Obama. Daniels just has to say the word and the Guard will activate.

Sir, you are correct on both counts. But can the Governor demand that his National Guard not be deployed overseas? I think not. But I'm not sure.

Indiana Guard Reserve website for the IGR

Obama is still in charge of the millitary as a whole so he can overide the governor BUT they can not deploy the entire unit. Enough people must stay behined to defend the state or help in disaster relief. An entire base does not deploy at the same time, just smaller units and they rotate, this is pretty well known.

Again I think a lot of people think the IGR is more then it really is.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Militia as defined by the United States Code:

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART I > CHAPTER 13 > § 311

§ 311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    (b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If so, they do not understand who really has command.

Just ask Governor Wallace about that!

I agree that in the end the President has command at the National level BUT if the Governor needs the Guard to do security or disaster relief during a disaster or rioting whatever then he can call the Guard up. Each state has PLENTY of Guard unit's...... the President can still send a bunch to war and there will still be PLENTY here in the state to do the above duties or to defend the state.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Governor is only in charge during peace time. We are currently involved in a never ending war, thus, the Commander in Chief has the reigns.

Likewise, the Indiana Army/Air National Guard is in direct support of the federal military. The website is a .mil, and all of their links are .gov or .mil. Therefore, I don't see how the INNG can be considered a volunteer state militia as set forth by the 2nd Amendment. :dunno:

As for the original story, kudos to Oklahoma for being on the point of the spear. I'm hoping that 2010+ will be the resurrection of the 10th Amendment and the beginning of restoring decision making and power to the local level. After all, wasn't it Obama that said power comes from the bottom up?

Federal MissionThe Indiana Army and Air National Guard are reserve components of the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force. During times of national emergency, National Guard members may be called into active federal service by the President of the United States
    State Mission
    During peace times, the National Guard is commanded by the governor. In it's "state" role, the National Guard assists local law enforcement agencies during emergencies at the direction of the governor. The distribution of soldiers, equipment and facilities across the state allows the National Guard to respond quickly and efficiently to emergencies statewide.

This dual federal-state mission is unique to the U.S. military and sets the National Guard apart from any other reserve component.

The quote is directly from the Indiana National Guard website

Last edited:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The Governor is only in charge during peace time. We are currently involved in a never ending war, thus, the Commander in Chief has the reigns.

Likewise, the Indiana Army/Air National Guard is in direct support of the federal military. The website is a .mil, and all of their links are .gov or .mil. Therefore, I don't see how the INNG can be considered a volunteer state militia as set forth by the 2nd Amendment. :dunno:

As for the original story, kudos to Oklahoma for being on the point of the spear. I'm hoping that 2010+ will be the resurrection of the 10th Amendment and the beginning of restoring decision making and power to the local level. After all, wasn't it Obama that said power comes from the bottom up?

The quote is directly from the Indiana National Guard website

The Governor can still call up the Guard if need be..... Like I said above the President is over the Governor and can also call up the Guard.

I think at one point states had the militias that you speak of untill the vast majority of them or at least a lot of them went crazy and gave them all the bad name that they have today.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Can you show me the Declaration of War that Congress passed? If so, then yes, we are at war. If not, we are not at war and the Governor still has full control of the NG.

We are the militia, you, me and the guy down the street. The National Guard is the U.S. military by another name and is not the unorganized militia.

The National Guard is NOT the US Military. They are the ORGANIZED militia. As per USC. You, me, the guy down the street... we are the UNORGANIZED militia. As per USC. Unless you're not able-bodied and under 17 or over 45.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Oh, look! The OK gop people are disavowing the militia/legislators. Shifting them to the fringes where they can be ignored. Amazing what the political machine can and will do when you don't toe the line.

via Politico

A group of tea party leaders and Republican state legislators that wants to create a volunteer militia in Oklahoma has no place in the GOP, state Republicans told POLITICO on Tuesday.

The Associated Press has reported that tea party movement leaders and two Republican Oklahoma state lawmakers — Rep. Charles Key and Sen. Randy Brogdon, also a candidate for governor — have discussed forming a militia to defend against what they see as federal infringements on the state’s rights.

In a phone interview, state GOP Chairman Gary Jones said the tea party activists are only talking about forming a militia because “they are trying to make themselves out to be bigger than they are.”

“A lot of these people don’t care about being the majority, they just want a megaphone. They want a voice,” the state GOP chairman said. “Once they get a reporter to cover a story they have a megaphone, and they get pretty loud.”
    Read the rest at the source.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    IE the National Guard.

The National Guard, by law, is a federal reserve force subject to federal control at any time. The President has plenary (meaning: total, whole) authority when the NG is federalized. There needs to be no declaration of war or anything else other than the whim of the President that it is militarily necessary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom