• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I would say anything Alliant, and especially Unique, are the outliers. Most Hodgdon/IMR/Win powders can still be had for $30-40 per pound. Alliant and their parent comapny Vista Outdoors have done it to themselves with steady price increases.

I have a few pounds of Unique, and that will probably last me a lifetime of .44 Special loading. I have found other powders more suited to most of the other calibers I load for.
    With the most recent price increases in January, if you can find those three brands for less than $40 per pound, get what you need. The demand, shortages, and price increases have made north of $40 common.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    With the most recent price increases in January, if you can find those three brands for less than $40 per pound, get what you need. The demand, shortages, and price increases have made north of $40 common.
    I bought 2 pounds of W231 at Bass n Bucks for $30 each just a couple months ago, and they had a large supply of powder in stock. Runnings (Big R) in Wabash has some Hodgdon powders for under $40 as well. There are a lot of vendors still sitting on powder (and primers) that they paid too much for in the past couple years and they're still trying to pass those high prices on to consumers.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I bought 2 pounds of W231 at Bass n Bucks for $30 each just a couple months ago, and they had a large supply of powder in stock. Runnings (Big R) in Wabash has some Hodgdon powders for under $40 as well. There are a lot of vendors still sitting on powder (and primers) that they paid too much for in the past couple years and they're still trying to pass those high prices on to consumers.
    Glenn had some decent (for the times) prices when I was there a couple weeks ago. Picked up some more H4350.

I'm disappointed that it's been hard to find CCI large pistol primers lately. I was cleaning up in the shop and found almost 1,000 large rifle primers, so there's that.

My biggest disappointment, though, is in the lack of 0.311" rifle bullets in any variety. I'm especially missing 150gr SSTs for my 7.62x54r stuff, and am having to conserve what I have.

I talk to liberals a lot, and they're getting into guns. Demand has risen because guns are becoming less of a partisan issue.

The upside is that they're waking up to the stupidity of gun laws, as they learn about firearms.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Glenn had some decent (for the times) prices when I was there a couple weeks ago. Picked up some more H4350.

I'm disappointed that it's been hard to find CCI large pistol primers lately. I was cleaning up in the shop and found almost 1,000 large rifle primers, so there's that.

My biggest disappointment, though, is in the lack of 0.311" rifle bullets in any variety. I'm especially missing 150gr SSTs for my 7.62x54r stuff, and am having to conserve what I have.

I talk to liberals a lot, and they're getting into guns. Demand has risen because guns are becoming less of a partisan issue.

The upside is that they're waking up to the stupidity of gun laws, as they learn about firearms.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    The cheapest 22's I've seen is $5 per box of 50. 100 packs are $11 to 14. I bought and shot a lot as a kid. They were .05 to 55 cent per box.
    I stopped at Avery's in Memphis, TN Tuesday. Pretty good display of powder, $80 to 109 per bottle. A few primers, $9 per pack for SP and $11 for LR. The 100 pack of bullets was about the same as a box of 50 rds ammo.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm good for quite some time. I have bought recently to try some different things though.

My neighbors don't know what I have. They DO know that smoke coming from my house is not a spectator event. They should probably move away a couple houses down.
    Its not gonna be bad, until that 10-20lbs of Black gets to hot.
    Then it gets exciting!!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The cheapest 22's I've seen is $5 per box of 50. 100 packs are $11 to 14. I bought and shot a lot as a kid. They were .05 to 55 cent per box.
    I stopped at Avery's in Memphis, TN Tuesday. Pretty good display of powder, $80 to 109 per bottle. A few primers, $9 per pack for SP and $11 for LR. The 100 pack of bullets was about the same as a box of 50 rds ammo.
    Avery's is pumping its customers in the No No.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    There are also a lot of places that don't sell stuff very fast and just haven't had to replace it recently. My prices change rapidly because we move products rapidly. $30 for W231 is a great price (that is actually below wholesale today), but I'd be amazed if the powder was made recently. It's probably powder that has been on the shelf for several months. I sometimes have powder that is less than a month old on the shelf.

I can sometimes buy items at retail for less than wholesale, because the vendor selling it bought it before the last 2 or 3 price increases. If you get really lucky, you might find some stores that have a few items from a few years ago. Most of those have been bought up through.

I have literally bought items from dealers at retail that they originally purchased from me. Sometimes at gun shows, you may notice that Doug has items with my price tags on them that are at lower prices than what I have. It's because he leaves my tags on them, but doesn't raise the price when the price increases hit.

Top Bottom