springfield armory m1a1 4th generation aluminum scope mount- anyone have one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    This is for the M1A1 chambered in 308. anybody have any experience using one of these mounts? I bought one today.

4th GENERATION ALUMINUM SCOPE MOUNT

I have a 1-6 x 24 vortex strike eagle that I am going to put on it. The strike eagle manual says the reticle in this optic is calibrated for 308. I am trying to figure out what rings I need to make this work. I am not sure about cheek weld, eye relief, and height of the rings needed.

Does anyone know what height rings would work and will I need a cantilever mount?

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your only concern is making sure the objective is not touching anything. I use medium height rings to achieve that with a Springfield scope and your scope mount. It also allows me to be able to use the iron sights with the scope mounted. So it really depends on the size of your objective, how high the rings need to be.

Having said all of that, I have been shooting the M1A type rifle for 40 plus years with iron sights only. I succumbed to the desire to mount a scope on one. This rifle is not designed to have a scope put on it. Check weld, weight, and balance become serious issues with this rifle. My rifle is back to irons only.

Have fun experimenting.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    yes i know i agree it will be a challenge. I hope i can make it work. I've pretty much got everthing to do it but rings. I maybe misusing the rifle but I would like to see what i can do with it.
    Your only concern is making sure the objective is not touching anything. I use medium height rings to achieve that with a Springfield scope and your scope mount. It also allows me to be able to use the iron sights with the scope mounted. So it really depends on the size of your objective, how high the rings need to be.

Having said all of that, I have been shooting the M1A type rifle for 40 plus years with iron sights only. I succumbed to the desire to mount a scope on one. This rifle is not designed to have a scope put on it. Check weld, weight, and balance become serious issues with this rifle. My rifle is back to irons only.

Have fun experimenting.

Top Bottom