• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I was in Indy Saturday with the wife to pick up a flashlight. I had been wanting to get a Surefire, since my preference was something made in the US. However, I had been seeing some good reviews and recommendations for the Fenix PD35. The PD35 is compact with a 1000 lumen output. Something comparable from Surefire would have been almost twice the cost.

My plan was to order it online, but REI had it for $5 more than what I could order it online for, and it gave me an excuse to swing by Chuy's for dinner. Anyway, we went into REI and got the flashlight. When we got to the register the cashier asked if we were REI club members. I was going to say "no," but the wife chimed in first and said "yes." I forgot she had joined when she and my daughter had gone there for backpacks for a trip. I also happened to look down on the counter and someone had left a 20% off coupon for club members there. The wife saw it at the same time and snatched it up and handed it to the cashier.

Long story short, I got the flashlight for $5 less than I would have paid before shipping buying online, and got Chuy's for dinner on the way home.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've been a member since the early days of REI but will not buy from them again....

"CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles — these products are all owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands and has a strong connection to the National Rifle Association.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores."

Seems really stupid to me for them to stop carrying some of the best brands of gear due to the cooperate umbrella they fall under. They folded immediately to an online petition.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Nice!!! I love my Fenix PD35 Tac. It’s held up well for me.

My Surefire LX2 has been my nightstand light ever since then.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, this is going to be exhausting trying to sort companies by political agenda. Wish they would just make, market, and sell product without engaging in political debate over our rights.

I've been a member since the early days of REI but will not buy from them again....

"CamelBak water bottles, Bell bicycle helmets, Giro ski goggles — these products are all owned by Vista Outdoor, which includes gun and ammo makers among its brands and has a strong connection to the National Rifle Association.

And that’s part of the reason REI, a nationwide outdoor retailer and consumer co-op, announced Thursday evening that it would no longer be ordering CamelBak, Bell, Giro or any other of the 50 Vista Outdoor brands to sell in its stores."

Seems really stupid to me for them to stop carrying some of the best brands of gear due to the cooperate umbrella they fall under. They folded immediately to an online petition.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    There's no way to keep up with it.

I should have added that I have several Fenix flashlights including a PD 35 and like all of them.:yesway:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I keep a smaller PD32 that I picked up at INGO in my backpack for work and one in each vehicle. Great lights for the $$. I just bought a nice packable jacket from REI on clearance while out west, but I rarely shop there anymore and now have a better reason not to.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    EDCL2-T

Bumpity for a new hand held photon blaster!

My nightstand Surefire G2 has been acting funny, not turning on, flickering, etc. Time for a new one! I stumbled across a new LGS off I-70 in New Castle and they had the new model EDCL2-T for a decent price.

Comparing it to my PD-35:
    More concentrated center spot, whiter colored beam but a few visible edges in the pattern. A reflector geometry thing to get the center spot brighter I'm sure. The "throttle" type tail cap button is NICE. A half press gets you a ~5 lumen nav light. A full press unleashes 1,200 lumen of mad photons! I'm finding it easier to use than the side mounted button on my PD-35. The only thing I'm kind of wishing for is a lanyard loop but there's a deep cut in the body of the light that might hold onto some lanyard line.

Link here: https://www.surefire.com/everyday-carry-flashlight-edcl2-t.html

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Bumpity for a new hand held photon blaster!

My nightstand Surefire G2 has been acting funny, not turning on, flickering, etc. Time for a new one! I stumbled across a new LGS off I-70 in New Castle and they had the new model EDCL2-T for a decent price.

Comparing it to my PD-35:
    More concentrated center spot, whiter colored beam but a few visible edges in the pattern. A reflector geometry thing to get the center spot brighter I'm sure. The "throttle" type tail cap button is NICE. A half press gets you a ~5 lumen nav light. A full press unleashes 1,200 lumen of mad photons! I'm finding it easier to use than the side mounted button on my PD-35. The only thing I'm kind of wishing for is a lanyard loop but there's a deep cut in the body of the light that might hold onto some lanyard line.

Link here: https://www.surefire.com/everyday-carry-flashlight-edcl2-t.html
    I really want to like that light but the no lanyard ring is a no go for me and Surefire needs to catch up on their battery technology. HELLO 18650!!!!! I’m very interested in the Olight M2R Warrior. I have their H2R Nova headlamp and love it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ha, funny that a video about this light came out today:
    [video=youtube_share;ODe3nNzRZVQ]http://youtu.be/ODe3nNzRZVQ[/video]

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Ha, funny that a video about this light came out today:
    [video=youtube_share;ODe3nNzRZVQ]http://youtu.be/ODe3nNzRZVQ[/video]
    Here’s another one from three months ago comparing it to the PD35 Tac.

[video=youtube_share;aKib5K47xtQ]http://youtu.be/aKib5K47xtQ[/video]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I wouldn't want a flashlight that only had 5 or 1200 lumens output. 5 is too little for much of anything and 1200 is too much for most uses.

I find 100-500 hundred much more useful with higher lumens only desirable outside to light up the night.

I bet that thing heats up FAST.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I wouldn't want a flashlight that only had 5 or 1200 lumens output. 5 is too little for much of anything and 1200 is too much for most uses.

I find 100-500 hundred much more useful with higher lumens only desirable outside to light up the night.

I bet that thing heats up FAST.
    So you are looking for a EDC flashlight not a Self Defense/Tactical flashlight. There is a difference, not saying one or the other can’t cross over but each one does a specific job.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Well...Surefire calls it an EDC...lol.

Inside a home or buildings with "small rooms", the bounce back of 800+ lumen lights interferes with my own vision and being on the other end of 500 lumens leaves me blinded. Just my .02 but I'm not a "tactical" guy.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Well...Surefire calls it an EDC...lol.

Inside a home or buildings with "small rooms", the bounce back of 800+ lumen lights interferes with my own vision and being on the other end of 500 lumens leaves me blinded. Just my .02 but I'm not a "tactical" guy.
    I can tell you are not a Tactcool Guy by this post and you have had no formal indoor low light training or studied up on the subject. It doesn’t matter what lumens you have, you don’t use your light that way indoor. You shine it up at the ceiling to illuminate a room. Let’s not turn this into a pissing match but into an educational thread.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I really want to like that light but the no lanyard ring is a no go for me and Surefire needs to catch up on their battery technology. HELLO 18650!!!!! I’m very interested in the Olight M2R Warrior. I have their H2R Nova headlamp and love it.

You don't really need a lanyard ring to have a good lanyard on your light. I don't use the rings on any of my lights, in fact. I tie a "rhino loop" around the body of the light. It works best in one of the indented rings around most lights. We learned last week that if you remove the plastic lanyard ring that comes on some of the SureFire lights, it makes an ideal place to anchor a rhino loop.

I can tell you are not a Tactcool Guy by this post and you have had no formal indoor low light training or studied up on the subject. It doesn’t matter what lumens you have, you don’t use your light that way indoor. You shine it up at the ceiling to illuminate a room. Let’s not turn this into a pissing match but into an educational thread.

:thumbsup:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I been running Streamlights. Lot of bang for your buck. Now if I was using them everyday or for serious work Surefire is it.

I also love the 18650 batts. No more buying the 123's. L.A. Police Gear is a decent source.

Top Bottom