• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You don't really need a lanyard ring to have a good lanyard on your light. I don't use the rings on any of my lights, in fact. I tie a "rhino loop" around the body of the light. It works best in one of the indented rings around most lights. We learned last week that if you remove the plastic lanyard ring that comes on some of the SureFire lights, it makes an ideal place to anchor a rhino loop.

:thumbsup:
    I’ll keep my lanyard ring. Add a piece of shock cord and a stopper to the end of it and you have a easy on and off. Plus it stay on your hand when you are carrying other things like grocery/bags from the store or your keys while keeping the other hand free for your sidearm. I’m not saying it’s for everyone but every person who has tried my light out has switched to having a shock cord on their lanyard ring.

Also it allows you to get a two handed grip on your side arm.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I’ll keep my lanyard ring. Add a piece of shock cord and a stopper to the end of it and you have a easy on and off. Plus it stay on your hand when you are carrying other things like grocery/bags from the store or your keys while keeping the other hand free for your sidearm. I’m not saying it’s for everyone but every person who has tried my light out has switched to having a shock cord on their lanyard ring.

Also it allows you to get a two handed grip on your side arm.

That's a viable option and it works for you - awesome!

My lanyard allows me to get the palm free so you can have a real two-hand grip without the light in the way, or use your support hand freely for other tasks like reloading, but then you don't have to fish for the light dangling at the end of a rope either. My hands are too small to have a light in the way and try to grip the gun as well. Best part is that all it takes a is piece of para cord with the core removed. Downside is that if you don't tie it right, it can slip off too easily.

Which reminds me that I owe chezuki some "reties."

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That's a viable option and it works for you - awesome!

My lanyard allows me to get the palm free so you can have a real two-hand grip without the light in the way, or use your support hand freely for other tasks like reloading, but then you don't have to fish for the light dangling at the end of a rope either. My hands are too small to have a light in the way and try to grip the gun as well. Best part is that all it takes a is piece of para cord with the core removed. Downside is that if you don't tie it right, it can slip off too easily.

Which reminds me that I owe chezuki some "reties."
    I have no problems doing reloads or clearing stoppages. I don’t have big hand ether :( but my palms are wide :D I am interested in see this Rhino Loop, I did a quick search and did not come up with anything. Is there a video on it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have no problems doing reloads or clearing stoppages. I don’t have big hand ether :( but my palms are wide :D I am interested in see this Rhino Loop, I did a quick search and did not come up with anything. Is there a video on it?

No video. It's just the way I arrived on tying and using a lanyard over time. Someone that did our low light class years ago dubbed it "rhino loop," but I can't remember who it was.

Trying it your way, I wasn't ever able to grab a magazine and reload or rack the slide because the light is in the way. I never bothered to try any other manipulations like clearing a malfunction since it was already a non-starter for me.

Again, if it works well for you, it's a good solution.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Wow, haven't checked in for for a little while. A lot of great information added since then. Thanks!

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I just had my second Helotex G2 (well, one was a Gun Shack G2) light die. They served me well for quite a few years, but it is time to replace them.

I really want a flashlight that has the following features:
    1. Compact and easy to pocket carry
    2. Uses 18650 battery
    3. Approximately 600 lumens
    4. Quality (no play), forward clicky, recessed tailswitch for momentary activation at full brightness
    5. Always defaults to full power when clicked on and of course a full click when on should turn it off. No memory of previously used settings.
    6. A single lower brightness option accessible through a half click after light is on
    7. Waterproof and dustproof
    8. Ideally a smooth or minimally crenelated bezel
    9. Potted/epoxied electronics where possible for maximum shock and water protection
    10. Rugged stainless steel or aluminum construction
    11. Price point somewhere under $120.

I've been searching for a light that meets these criteria, but all the ones on the market seem to want to one-up each other with more and more useless modes that make it less intuitive to use, or have a giant bezel, or attempt to incorporate on-board charging at the cost of size, or remembers the previous settings, or use only disposable batteries, or have some other significant weakness. When I grab a flashlight, I want to be able to turn it on and know I'm getting the maximum light available, not have to assess the beam, fiddle about with half-clicks and switches and rotating dials widdershins. If I need less light, 99% of the time I'm not going to need to fine tune it - I'll want just a little light to maneuver my way around. In that case I can mash the bezel into my leg, turn it on full-bright and then half-click to get my desired output without having to worry about trying to count through the various settings. I have yet to have a real need for a disco mode or SOS.

Could I be the only one seeking a simple, well-built, reasonably powerful, compact flashlight that runs on a quality rechargeable battery for pocket carry and every day use?

Top Bottom