Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Plinker gundawg's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Looking for good value hearing protection

    Decided it's time to upgrade my hearing protection.

    Would appreciate recommendations/reviews of muffs that are a good value for the price.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster MCgrease08's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I have nothing bad to say about the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I've been using them for a few years now for pistol and rifle shooting, carbine classes, etc. They're low profile and do what they're supposed to do. I don't know how I was able to get by with non-electronic ear pro for so long. Once you go electronic you won't go back.

    The auto shut off feature is nice. I was at a shoot yesterday and had an "oh crap" moment when I realized I had forgotten to turn them off after my last range trip two weeks prior. But my batteries lasted all day, finally dying out literally as we were packing up.

    Are there better electronic options out there? Probably. But for about $50 the Impact Sport line is a great value.

    https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight.../dp/B001T7QJ9O
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

  3. #3
    Plinker gundawg's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    I have nothing bad to say about the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I've been using them for a few years now for pistol and rifle shooting, carbine classes, etc. They're low profile and do what they're supposed to do. I don't know how I was able to get by with non-electronic ear pro for so long. Once you go electronic you won't go back.

    The auto shut off feature is nice. I was at a shoot yesterday and had an "oh crap" moment when I realized I had forgotten to turn them off after my last range trip two weeks prior. But my batteries lasted all day, finally dying out literally as we were packing up.

    Are there better electronic options out there? Probably. But for about $50 the Impact Sport line is a great value.

    https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight.../dp/B001T7QJ9O
    Thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out.

  4. #4
    Expert marvin02's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    What are you looking for?

    Muff style only?

    Electronic style, that allows you to hear conversations when there is no shooting?

    Low height for using with a rifle?

    I just got a pair of Walker Silencer in ear electronic ear plugs and like them. Midway also has these Walker electronic ear muffs on sale. Right now Midway has free shipping on orders over $49.
    Quit looking - no quality posts here.

  5. #5
    Plinker gundawg's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by marvin02 View Post
    What are you looking for?

    Muff style only?

    Electronic style, that allows you to hear conversations when there is no shooting?

    Low height for using with a rifle?

    I just got a pair of Walker Silencer in ear electronic ear plugs and like them. Midway also has these Walker electronic ear muffs on sale. Right now Midway has free shipping on orders over $49.
    I'm open to all suggestions. I do need something I can use shooting rifles.

    Thanks for your input, I'll check them out.

  6. #6
    Grandmaster Cameramonkey's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Indoor or outdoor shooting?

    Outdoors the electronic ones help. Indoors save your pennies. Too much noise from other shooters so you might as well be wearing 50c foam plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

  7. #7
    Master Twangbanger's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Another vote for the Howard Leight Impact. I have had the Impact Pro for about 3 years now. About $70 if I recall. They are very comfortable, and the battery life is incredible, even if you forget and leave them on. Great for giving instruction. I have used them for indoor shooting, and if shooting matches where only pistol ammo is in use, I don't even need plugs underneath. (If you're shooting in a public range where someone is shooting an AR next to you, you will need plugs also). An added neat feature is they have the 1/8" audio line-in port on one side, so you can plug in your iPhone. (If you play drums, they are awesome because you can plug in your metronome app or Spotify, and have hearing protection and play along with something at the same time). They get used almost every day either drumming or shooting, and have stood the test of time.

    They are a nice upgrade from typical hearing protection, and I wish I'd bought them sooner in my shooting life.

  8. #8
    Plinker gundawg's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Indoor or outdoor shooting?

    Outdoors the electronic ones help. Indoors save your pennies. Too much noise from other shooters so you might as well be wearing 50c foam plugs.
    I've used plugs, passive and electronic muffs. I usually use plugs and muffs, passive or electronic, indoors. Just looking to buy newer, better, electronics.

  9. #9
    Plinker gundawg's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Twangbanger View Post
    Another vote for the Howard Leight Impact. I have had the Impact Pro for about 3 years now. About $70 if I recall. They are very comfortable, and the battery life is incredible, even if you forget and leave them on. Great for giving instruction. I have used them for indoor shooting, and if shooting matches where only pistol ammo is in use, I don't even need plugs underneath. (If you're shooting in a public range where someone is shooting an AR next to you, you will need plugs also). An added neat feature is they have the 1/8" audio line-in port on one side, so you can plug in your iPhone. (If you play drums, they are awesome because you can plug in your metronome app or Spotify, and have hearing protection and play along with something at the same time). They get used almost every day either drumming or shooting, and have stood the test of time.

    They are a nice upgrade from typical hearing protection, and I wish I'd bought them sooner in my shooting life.
    Thanks for the input. The Howard Leight Impact seems like a good choice, they're well-reviewed elsewhere too.

    I'm glad I posted this request for input here, I had never heard of the Howards before.

  10. #10
    Marksman seldon14's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Howard Leight Impact Sports, are the best bang for your buck by far in my experience.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge