• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone find a good deal on 5.45 x 39 ammo lately. I'm looking for some of the mil surplus non-corrosive bulgarian stuff. Seems to be sold out everywhere I'm looking.

All of the surplus 7N6 ammo that has been imported in recent years (Russian/Bulgarian/Polish/Romanian) is corrosive, despite how some resellers may describe it.

RGuns has some in stock, but it looks to be Russian rather than Bulgarian. No real difference other than age (the Russian stuff is from the mid-70s; the Bulgarian is from the early 90s); I've shot a ton of both and it's all good.
    RGUNS - Ammunition

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I changed my mind. Ammuntiontogo.com has the 5.45x39 AR uppers for $550 (good price in today's market).

I was going to order one, but after doing some research decided against it. I'm just going to use one of my old .223 uppers with the spike's tactical 22lr conversion kit and plink with it.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I changed my mind. Ammuntiontogo.com has the 5.45x39 AR uppers for $550 (good price in today's market).

I was going to order one, but after doing some research decided against it. I'm just going to use one of my old .223 uppers with the spike's tactical 22lr conversion kit and plink with it.

What did you find that made you decide against the 5.45x39 upper..?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If you've ever been in R-Guns store and seen some of the folks that come through their door - its an eye opening experience. Not that its an explanation for their C/S behavior - but I think it would change your life being in there every day.

I used to stop in there every now and again, there were always some pretty good deals - but even though its in a fairly nice suburb, some of their clients made me a little anxious.

I got my last order in about 4 weeks - nothing to indicate it was on its way other than seeing the charge appear on my C/C.

I plan on buying more soon, and won't hesitate to use them, just don't expect to be coddled when you do.

The stories I'm hearing about this IMI ammunition of theirs is reprehensible, at least on the surface. I'd like to hear the rest of the story to be sure.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    What did you find that made you decide against the 5.45x39 upper..?

I decided to just go with a spikes 22LR kit with an old upper just for shooting 22LR.

Here's what changed my mind: "5.45 is still relatively cheap now, but prices are on the rise as the stocks of surplus begin to dry up. Being an entirely imported caliber, supply and pricing are subject to political and legislative forces that may not impact .223/5.56 nearly as dramatically. As recently as about 5 years ago, you couldn't find 5.45 ammo of any kind, anywhere.

Eventually, 5.56 prices will come down out of the stratosphere, and the price gap between the two calibers will narrow even more.

Unrelated to that, is the fact that mags for a 5.45 AR are problematic at best. CProducts is making a dedicated mag, but they've been plagued with quality issues. Using a standard 5.56 mag will work in a pinch, but capacity will be drastically reduced." This is a quote from another member.

I did some research on-line and got a lot of the same answers.

Top Bottom