• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    From what speed? To what speed? What powder, and how much, are you using now? Paper patched?

I am sure there are more questions I could ask.

Welcome to the forum, but come on.......

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sorry what i should have said was "what is the best load for getting the maximum velocity out of a 308 with a 230 grain hard cast bullet"

You seem to be missing the point of shooting a heavy-for-caliber hard cast bullet. Trying to achieve maximum velocity should not be your goal. If you want maximum velocity from a 308, drop way down in bullet weight and then use a medium burn rate powder.

There is no "best load" for what you're asking. Find published data, work your way up until you get suitable accuracy.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I started a thread on alliant pp 2000 mr, wondering if there was any experirience with it. Alliant makes some pretty impressive claims regarding velocity. However, from what (limited) information I've seen, it's not intended for that heavy of a bullet. Alliant has sample loads on their site, and there are no loads with a bullet heavier than 185. If you're married to that 230 gn bullet weight, I would just try some diffeent powders and work up watching (closely) for pressure signs. To me, the .308 isn't the most efficient case for a bullet that heavy, but that's the great thing about this hobby: it's your gear, and the only person that has to approve is you.

Top Bottom