• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've never really decorated a house with lights and we're trying to get into it as this home should be more permanent. Problem is the peaks are awfully high and I'm not a fan of climbing tall ladders. Fortunately my brother-in-law came over right when I neared the peak to hold the ladder and give me some moral support.

Any of you have to make death-defying moves to hang lights before? Walking on roofs, climbing trees, leaning out windows, etc...

AB0ECA1C-A5D0-4752-8A0A-D75BD73A5B56-1301-000001A7A5F19D4E.jpg

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I've never really decorated a house with lights and we're trying to get into it as this home should be more permanent. Problem is the peaks are awfully high and I'm not a fan of climbing tall ladders. Fortunately my brother-in-law came over right when I neared the peak to hold the ladder and give me some moral support.

Any of you have to make death-defying moves to hang lights before? Walking on roofs, climbing trees, leaning out windows, etc...

AB0ECA1C-A5D0-4752-8A0A-D75BD73A5B56-1301-000001A7A5F19D4E.jpg

I gave it up after the hip replacement surgery. I now settle for a nice nativity scene in the front yard.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Fortunately our home is a ranch with lower roof lines. Some years I do help my son-in-law hang his with peaks similar to what you show. Not near as concerned if the ladder is a good quality fiberglass versus the aluminum. That "bouncing" on a long aluminum is a little unnerving.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Heck ya... last year we built a new house, 2 story. I was all gung-ho about outlining the roofline. And I'm not a big fan of walking on roofs 25 Ft in the air so I went to rent a 30 ft ladder, and whenthat sucker was extented to the max, and I was at the to it was quiet scary. Then I had to get my butt back up there to take'em down. So this year I just to stuff that only requires the three step ladder.
    If someone can tell me how to post pics from a cell phone, illnpost a pic of the ladder I rented.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Hung high lights a few years ago reaching out and doing scary things. They have since died. I never took them down. Won't do it again. I asked myself WWJD and a disembodied voice boomed 'Jesus would not hang X-mas lights." I replied "But I am not Jesus." The voice continued "are you sure?" I retreated into my bed with a a bottle of Scotch, earplugs, and a Prozac. YEMV. I hope so...

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    The wife and I just moved to a house for the first time. As such we are trying to put lights up. However, there is ONE peak that is too steep to walk up and too high to reach from other parts of the roof. I only have a 6' step ladder and that isn't going to get me anywhere near the 20'peak. I've tried on Craigslist to get somebody to hang them but we're in the process of playing email/phone tag since he no-showed yesterday.

If anybody has a 20' + extension ladder, a way to get it to Cumberland today, and a desire for $50 (to rent) or more to sell PM me!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Not lights, but I have had to put a chimney cap on my mom's house with a very steep pitch and the top o chimney about 10 ft above said pitch....scary stuff but so long as you don't look down and get vertigo you should be g2g.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Hung high lights a few years ago reaching out and doing scary things. They have since died. I never took them down. Won't do it again. I asked myself WWJD and a disembodied voice boomed 'Jesus would not hang X-mas lights." I replied "But I am not Jesus." The voice continued "are you sure?" I retreated into my bed with a a bottle of Scotch, earplugs, and a Prozac. YEMV. I hope so...
    :laugh:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just do something that doesn't require going so high.
    Are we going to have a Christmas light thread this year?
    I'm hoping to get mine up this week, but overtime is killing me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That isn't the attitude to have when showing the neighbors how much you've spent to celebrate a commercial holiday!!!!

If it wasn't hanging on my house when it got done, it's not going up. My old house had all kinds of little holes here and there on the exterior from the previous owner.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Heights used to scare me... Then it was when I was on moving objects that was bad.... Now I am pretty used to heights.... Not thinking about it much helps a bunch... That and if the object is moving then move with it.. Then you don't feel it moving much... I hate those aluminum ladders... Rather the heavy fiberglass ones they don't move as much.

Harmi01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2011
    not only do you have to take them down in a month but it will also be 10 degrees instead of 60 !!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I got some new toys this year that give a little light show to music. This year's lights aren't much but maybe next year I can add a few more strands of lights.

Oh, we are now broadcasting on FM the Christmas music they are set to.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I looked into some animated light controller units and such but it sure gets involved. Brandon, do you run it from a computer directly or with a card reader? I have several areas of my garage that is bricked and facing the street, just begging for some animated scenes.

Top Bottom