• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So I've started looking on craigslist for used children's playground/swing set equipment. I'm not in a huge hurry yet, my son is only 2 months old, but I want to get him something really nice. The thing is, I don't know what to look for. Do brands matter? What's a good price? Are there features I want, and want to stay away from?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have got a free one...It's yours....

Looks like this but used...One swing needs to be replaced and the roof is wood....

photo.jpg

I'm in Clarksville....Daughter has out grown it and wife wants to utilize the spot for something else...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're handy, you can build a nice one for not a whole lot of money.

We bought a kit VERY similar to this on Amazon: DIY Play Set Kit Includes Slide & Hardware to Get Started

Then bought the lumber. Then I somehow managed to cut all the boards (And not myself) and get it 90% assembled. I did need a bit of help at the very end due to a 16' 6x6 beam being a little more than I could handle by myself.

There are a TON of kits online. Lowes sells that stuff, too.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Looks like this but used...One swing needs to be replaced and the roof is wood....

photo.jpg

I'm in Clarksville....Daughter has out grown it and wife wants to utilize the spot for something else...

That is a VERY nice offer. Unfortunately, that's quite a bit of a drive for me. I'm also not quite ready for anything just yet.

Thank you though, I very much appreciate it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're handy, you can build a nice one for not a whole lot of money.

We bought a kit VERY similar to this on Amazon: DIY Play Set Kit Includes Slide & Hardware to Get Started

Then bought the lumber. Then I somehow managed to cut all the boards (And not myself) and get it 90% assembled. I did need a bit of help at the very end due to a 16' 6x6 beam being a little more than I could handle by myself.

There are a TON of kits online. Lowes sells that stuff, too.

I'm not much of a wood worker...

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I was thinking more along the lines of metal swings being flimsy and prone to rust.

Second degree burns build character.

The good part of metal is after the few quick years the child will use it, you can chop it up with a sawzall and haul it to the scrap yard. And not alot of cost with buying a steel swingset from Walmart or Kmart.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Those pre fab set ups are not usually cheap at all. By price. Quality wise I've seen a few that were rather expensive by my account ($1500+) and they just couldn't keep up. Too bad you can't take Indiucky up on his great offer, INGO continues to impress.

In the end for me I opted to build my own from scratch. The chosen spot, by the wife, was a hillside. Of course it was! So a pre fab kit wouldn't have worked anyway unless I wanted to frame the area out and build up with dirt. Good luck in the search! Isn't it fun doing all this dad stuff?! Congrats btw on growing family!

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem

photo.jpg

If you're wanting to get rid of it, let me know how much you'd like for it. Have been wanting to build one for my 4 and 6 year old, but can never find the time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Slight hijack. This thread reminded me of the swing set I built my kids...gulp...15 years ago. We sold it with the house a couple of years ago. The buyers had leaving the swing set behind written in the purchase agreement. I'll take that as a compliment. I built this without a kit and without purchased plans. i drew out my own. The pic is one I keep on my credenza. the kiddos therein are 17 and 19 now... Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

17022163_10210662786660229_4296511351057976450_n.jpg

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    This one cost me about $1,600 and a week off work to complete. I have built a couple of the sams club kits also and those are decent for the price.

C06EF84F-A879-4B0E-A3AB-09817CD5793A-12458-00001D27706B619D_zps50e05440.jpg

Top Bottom