Am I the only one to get sick that isn't getting better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I went to the doctors office maybe four or five weeks ago feeling miserable. Not like dirt mind you, just miserable. Bad cough, goopy stuff in throat, etc.

I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection combined with sinusitis. Told to go home, rest, lots of fluids, etc. I was told to stick with my Mucinex D. I am cool with this because I don't believe in taking antibiotics for viral infections.

The next week I am back in. This time they are saying I have Bronchitis. I am given a Z-pac along with Robitussin with codeine. This time I feel better for awhile. However, the cough NEVER goes away, but I can deal with that and just wait it out.

Not.

This last Sunday I get minor chills but shrug it off. Feeling OK Monday morning but by mid afternoon feeling crappy again, this time add runny nose and cough has gotten mucho worse.

Today I go back to the doctors office and they send me for Xrays to rule out pneumonia they might be missing or bronchitis. I get the call tonight from the nurse. Good news: I spent money on Xray for nothing! My lungs are clear with no pneumonia or bronchitis.

So I ask what I have? She says really bad upper respiratory infection. Take the steroids, antibiotics, and more Robitussin with codeine. I ask how soon I should notice a change. She says about 3 - days.

Sorry for the rant but is anyone else going through this crap? I've been sick before but it has always lasted a week or two at most, then gone. Even with the flu I would have been more miserable but recovered by now.

This sucks. I'm going to miss work three (3) days again this week.

I hope there is no one else that is going through this!

Regards,

Doug

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My wife was sick with that particularly nasty strain of virus for over three weeks from February into March.
    She wound up with a bad sinus infection that required a prescription of Cephlex heavy enough that it put her body's own beneficial bacteria out of whack, if you know what I mean.
    I was sick with it for two weeks all the way through the Christmas holiday and New Years.
    Just stick it out and you'll whup it.
    It sucks; that's for sure.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    There's a virus going around that is making people sick for a ling time. My girlfriend had it for about 6 weeks. I have a coworker that is going on 2+ months and another that is going on about a month. Luckily i haven't caught it. They all have pretty much the same symptoms you do. These are all people that are usually very healthy and rarely get sick.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife had that crud for about 6 weeks in total from first cough to last. Actually, she still coughs occasionally.

I had it for right around 1 month - though thankfully for me, not as bad as my wife had it.

I called in sick more for that "cold" than I have for any other illness in my working life. You definitely have my empathy, OP.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It certainly has been a bad one this year. I had it for almost 2 weeks, then it came back and I had it for 3. My wife, had it for most of her 3 month maternity leave.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I had a nasty cold for about 6 weeks, just pushed through with cold medicine and it was gone, both my kids and wife got the same thing and then my wife's turned into pneumonia which went for another 5 weeks on that and this is the first week that she seems back to her normal self.

Take care of yourself, watch for it getting worse and it will go away.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    My youngest son has had it for about a week. As of yesterday I now have something as well. Definitely constricted breathing and dry hacking cough. Headaches and chills round out the package for me. I've missed the last two days of work. Awesomeness.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I got the same thing back in August. I never really got over it and then around Christmas it came on strong again. In my head I was thinking it had been 4-5 weeks and when I looked up the records it have been nearly 4 months of slight chest congestion with a mild cough.

The 1st trip to the doc resulted in a Zpak, steroids, an inhaler, a daytime cough medicine, and a nighttime cough medicine. The second trip got a different antibiotic that did much better.

All in all I was affected for over 5 months but I am finally back to "normal".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The worst part is, I can't relax and rest without going into a coughing spasm. The cough medicine helps some but the only relief I've found, for the most part, is to sit up straight here at the kitchen table. Yuck.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    SIX WEEKS!!! TWO MONTHES!!!:faint:

That is just horrible. I'm usually reasonably healthy. Overweight, yeah. But my immune system usually works damn good.

I get the flu shot, it's free through work. Haven't had a bad flu in years, but even when I did it was nasty then went away pretty quick.

The thought that bothers me is with this thing hanging on and lowering my immune system what door is being opened for something else to sneak in?

Thanks for all the encouragement. Now I feel bad for the folks that have had it much longer than me.

Regards,

Doug

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One of the docs my wife works with called it the 60-day cough. I've gotten almost completely over it and am STILL coughing crap up every once in a while. Hoping for some sunshine soon.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    Don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I have the runny nose/congestion "clear so far" where when you blow your nose it feels like your head is on fire. Then it went to a cough and every time I cough or blow my nose it's a instant headache. Doc said use Mucinex DM, nyquil liquicaps seem to help. No aches and such, just coughing and runny nose-does make you miserable though!

Top Bottom