Am I the only one to get sick that isn't getting better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If you're taking strong antibiotics, take some probiotics or something to help offset the good bacteria dying off. I know a lady that just went through this, it was awful.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Got the lung crud one month end of last year and when I got better came down with it again the next month. First and second time I have been sick in 9 years. Was hoping to get to 10.

Didn't any meds.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My youngest son has had it for about a week. As of yesterday I now have something as well. Definitely constricted breathing and dry hacking cough. Headaches and chills round out the package for me. I've missed the last two days of work. Awesomeness.

Your're definitely not alone... Oldest son just had the viral cold/flu like stuff a few weeks ago. Youngest son got the same but then it turned into a 'bacterial/bronchitis with asthmatic symptoms' dry cough that kept lingering. Then I got the cough and upper respiratory bacterial junk (Z-Pack).

Doctors say its staying around longer than usual this year. Yes, you feel like crapola.

Good burbon and chamomile hot tea with honey.

:ingo:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The whole family had it here. Sinus issues, ear issues, fever, and general exhaustion. I'm finally back to just seasonal allergies (yay). Doctor said it was some sort of virus, and not much to do other than wait it out. Took 6 or so weeks. Went through the whole school, I think. Pretty much every kid in my daughters class was out for a day or so, and her teacher finally had to take a few days off, too. Blah....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The worst part is, I can't relax and rest without going into a coughing spasm. The cough medicine helps some but the only relief I've found, for the most part, is to sit up straight here at the kitchen table. Yuck.

I would lay in bed to go to sleep and have the "attacks". It would last for about 15 minutes and then I could finally get it to stop and go to sleep. One night though, I coughed until about 2 am(I go to bed at 9-9:30). I went to the doc and I had an ear infection. She gave me Augmentin for that and a cough suppressant that came in an amber gel capsule.

I assume the antibiotic did it's job but the cough suppressant didn't do a thing. I tried Robitussin am and pm, no help. The only thing that helped the cough was Hall's cough drops. Go figure.

It is better now after 2 weeks or so, but I still have this cough at times. My wife had it first and it lasted about a month. I consider myself lucky.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Yep this series stinks. I was sick most of December and 2 weeks of January. Symptoms just like you describe. Still blowing nice yellow rockets when I ride. Cough is still there periodically as well. Fun when swimming

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I had that crud from the second week of December to the last week of February. Bad for 2 weeks, get better for 2 or 3 days, then start it all over again. Not a fun time!

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I have it too. Headaches, cold chills, coughing up gunk. My little baby has it too. His cough is terrible. I can't miss any work though. I'm new here and don't have any PTO or sick time yet.

Jason

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've got it too. Whatever it is, it's the worst I've had since as far back as I can remember.

This ^^^

My mom had the 6 weeks thing

Thankfully I've avoided it but this has been the worst year for illnesses that I can remember. I thought it was just because our kids started at a new daycare but I think it's more than that. I'm out of sick-days and the kids keep bringing crap home...

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    I had something similar on and off for weeks. Steroids and a Z-pack and another week or so and sleeping all that I could and I *may* be over it. I still cough more than I should, sneeze occasionally, and feel tireder than I should, but I'm still feeling better for longer than I have since early February. it is a bear.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Step one have everything you need at home. Don't waste time on the dr. You will need. Plenty of antibiotics and tamiflu. You can buy all the "fish" antibiotics you want online. I keep several bottles on hand at all times of different varieties. The tamiflu I got from my dr. He is a pretty cool guy and knows I'm nuts so I get an rx from him every few years to keep it fresh. Next you will need zicam, airborne, vitamins d3& k2, vit c 1000 mg, echinacea 500mg or more, colloidal silver 30 ppm, mucinex, zinc 50 mg. As soon as u feel that scratchy throat or runny nose take the zicam, 2 vit c, airborne, 2 d3 & k2 combo, 2 echinacea, 1 tablespoon silver. All 3 times per day for the first 3 days. If not getting better stop only the zicam and switch to just the zinc and keep the rest going. By day 3 it's time to begin the antibiotics. Read up on them to get the correct dosage. Always go 10 days! Possibly more depending on how u r doing. You may need the mucnex if it gets in ur chest. Don't stop the silver at all and it will never get in ur chest. If no change by day 5 you might have a viral and need to switch to tamiflu. If ur are certain it's flu then skip the antibiotics and go right to the tamiflu at day 3. Take at your own risk but I swear by it. I have shared with friends and they are believers. If you follow with out fail as soon as you feel It coming on you won't need the antibiotics or tamiflu. Good luck and you are all welcome.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Whatever this thing is I am truly tired of it continually rearing its ugly head. I've had a cough/cold/ headaches/ gunk since early January. NEVER had anything like this and I am typically not the one to get sick.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't had any headaches. The cough is the worst, and I can control it OK at night with the codeine.

Cough hasn't been significantly productive. I have started to have sneezing bouts multiple times per day.

Oh, and generally just feeling below the weather. I've now had some days where I'll get really sweaty, but when I go to the doctors office all is good. My temp is in the normal range.

Of course, not the pollen count is going up slightly and that may(?) be what was doing the runny nose. I don't know.

Whatever it is/was the darn cough is, at least in my opinion, certain exacerbating the situation.

Normally if I get sick a day or two of massive rest and all gets back on track. If it's really bad trip to doctors, continued rest and all on track. This thing just isn't getting back on track.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I am sorry to hear that it seems to have hit a lot of people.

Regards,

Doug

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I went back to the doctor yesterday as this thing really hit another gear the day before. He prescribed another antibiotic and an inhaler. I gotta say, even though I still don't "have my air back yet", the coughing is better and I didn't have to take another day off work today.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Pretty much what everybody else said. Wife got it in early January, lasted all month. By late February, it was back and she felt compelled to share with me. And I haven't been sick in years. Mine is about gone, still some lingering cough, but she is still a mess.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Feeling better, tried a little warm up exercise before going to crossfit & coughed so hard I blacked out for a sec., this stuff sucks.

Ouch!

I think what just flared up yesterday is due to pollen. I hope.

Did a team workout today. 50 cal assault bike, 50 DB thrusters. I made it through 3 rounds with my team but I was winded the whole time.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A week ago started getting a scratchy throat. Wole up Monday morning and started having a little bit of runny nose. So I started taking Claritin which didn't seem to help but have taken it all week. Yesterday woke up and started coughing up some gunk. When I got home this mornmorning I rana couple errands before going to bed. Got up this evening and am coughing up more gunk than yesterday and the runny nose is like a faucet that won't stop. Nose is rubbed raw, can't hardly fall asleep due to runny nose, some congestion when I lay down...pretty much miserable. 12hr work days this week probably didn't help. Now it's too late to see the Dr before the weekend. So, what should I take?? Claritin was no help so I got some 60mg Fexofenadine Hydrochloride allergy stuff in hopes of some relief.
    As much as I sympathize with those that have had issues much longer, I hope this isn't what so many others have been dealing with

Top Bottom