• danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Pontoon broat and trailer for use at Geist reservoir. My wife and I have lived in Geist for 10 years without a boat and today she said she'd like to look into getting one.

I'm not too hung up on new vs used, and I don't need it to be super over-the-top, but I'd like it to be nice enough to enjoy with little hassle.

So what say you, INGO? Where should I look to buy? Anything to look out for? Thanks in advance. :ingo:

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The entry level 18' pontoon boats look pretty big in the showroom, but once you get used to that activity, it gets too small fast. 24 foot is way smoother and more comfortable. Bargains that really only need cleanup can be found on Craigslist. 4 stroke outboard motors are pretty trouble free.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Also, tri toons can be a lot more stable in choppy water than a regular pontoon with just 2 toons underneath. We have a tri 23' with a 150HP outboard on it. Its nice and stable and does a good job of pulling the kids around on the tube.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The entry level 18' pontoon boats look pretty big in the showroom, but once you get used to that activity, it gets too small fast. 24 foot is way smoother and more comfortable. Bargains that really only need cleanup can be found on Craigslist. 4 stroke outboard motors are pretty trouble free.

This is pretty good advice. I've got a 20' and it's comfortable with 4 to 6 people on it, but it gets cramped with any more than that. Another thing to look for, especially in older boats is the diameter of the pontoons. Some of the older ones have 18" and I would avoid those. You'll want at least 24" for more stability. The motor will be a big chunk of the expense. Don't be afraid of older motors. They're not like car engines. It's not unusual for 30 or 40 year old outboards to still be running strong (allowing for normal wearable parts replacement, like seals, impellers, things like that). Of course at that age they're going to be 2 cycle and require a gas/oil mix. If I had it to do again I would go with a 4 stroke.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Won't likely help you but I cannot agree more with the old saying...."Best two days in a boat owners life; the day he buys his boat and the day he sells his boat."

Unless one lives directly on a lake my experience was we never used it enough to justify the costs and energy required. YMMV.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I'd love to help but...............boats suck. :)

As target64 said, rental first. to Get an idea of what you want. When you do buy I suggest a Yamaha 4 stroke. They are the best out there. Not the cheapest though.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Good luck finding what you want. I have been actively searching for the last 6 months for a bargain (10,000-15,000 budget) and I have not found it yet. It may be easier though since you live on a lake....a lot of pontoons for sale at Geist but most of them don't have trailers unless that is an issue. Seen a lot of $35,000-$50,000 toons....but nothing I can afford or justify.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I don't want to spend what I'd consider "car money" on a broat.

I won't use a broat as much as a car, so it would be difficult for me to justify.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is pretty good advice. I've got a 20' and it's comfortable with 4 to 6 people on it, but it gets cramped with any more than that. Another thing to look for, especially in older boats is the diameter of the pontoons. Some of the older ones have 18" and I would avoid those. You'll want at least 24" for more stability. The motor will be a big chunk of the expense. Don't be afraid of older motors. They're not like car engines. It's not unusual for 30 or 40 year old outboards to still be running strong (allowing for normal wearable parts replacement, like seals, impellers, things like that). Of course at that age they're going to be 2 cycle and require a gas/oil mix. If I had it to do again I would go with a 4 stroke.

Point of disagreement here, I had two different boats back in the late 70's one a 40 horse Johnson and the other a 60 horse evinrude and both were 4 cycle.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree with the rental too. You're going to be paying for it year round and only use it two or three months.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a Pontoon boat and trailer for use at Geist reservoir. My wife and I have lived in Geist for 10 years without a boat and today she said she'd like to look into getting one.

I'm not too hung up on new vs used, and I don't need it to be super over-the-top, but I'd like it to be nice enough to enjoy with little hassle.

So what say you, INGO? Where should I look to buy? Anything to look out for? Thanks in advance. :ingo:

You can't legally shoot over public waters.
    #Barnwater

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I am also looking for a used pontoon boat. Here is what I have found/decided:

1) Tri-Toons are more stable but more expensive and harder to find used. They produce a different wake.

2) Length: 22'-24', anything less won't be big enough for the crew, coolers, gear, tubes, etc.

3) Outboard: minimum of 90 HP, 115 would be better for pulling tubes.

4) Pontoons: Prefer 24" diameter

5) There are lots of online sources to completely remodel a pontoon if the floats and frame are good.

I haven't found one within driving distance (2-3 hours) yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Redhood
    Top Bottom