• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Any gold and silver stackers here? What amount of silver and gold does the average family have? What would you consider enough for a family of four? What do you consider a big stack? What do you consider enough? Do you use some for trade now or just stack? Most wealthy building companies recommend 5% in portfolio, but most have none I would guess.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We like to keep around 50 to 60 ponds of gold on hand. If it starts approaching 75 pounds we'll trade it off for some fresh gefilta fish. 100 pounds is our minimum on silver. HTH!:patriot:

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Any gold and silver stackers here? What amount of silver and gold does the average family have? What would you consider enough for a family of four? What do you consider a big stack? What do you consider enough? Do you use some for trade now or just stack? Most wealthy building companies recommend 5% in portfolio, but most have none I would guess.

I am curious about using it for trade. My thoughts are that you would probably only get melt value (spot) for your gold or silver. Then you wouldn't be able to replace it for the same price. Maybe I'm wrong about getting melt for trades. I'm just guessing.

As far as the other questions, I doubt most folks want to give out that info on a public forum.

Jeepfanatic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Plainfield
    If I physically held precious metals, which I don't, I wouldn't discuss amounts stored. Just like how I wouldn't tell how many $2 bills I have stored under the mattress either.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

watching as well, from what I am told regardless of condition when you go to sell it you typically have to sell at scrap prices, so I guess it would have to appreciate enough in 10 years or more to make it worth while to store etc? Seem like Real estate would perhaps be a better investment?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In a SHTF situation lead is the best investment you can have made.

If you are in contact with survivors you had better be trading on your offensive/defensive prowess. OPH! I said prowess, that should set us all to tap dancing around the question.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    If I physically held precious metals, which I don't, I wouldn't discuss amounts stored. Just like how I wouldn't tell how many $2 bills I have stored under the mattress either.

I never asked how much anyone had, I asked what would be enough. All my questions are very vague on purpose. This thread is going exactly the way I though it would go. NO one has any. NO one has any interest in it. NO one holds any in their portfolio. The average family holds none. NO one uses it for any kind of transacting whatsoever. This is why I have not really considered it. The only reason I even asked is because I heard someone say stocks, bonds, 401's, bonds, cd's are all nice but still all paper. I was just looking to avoid some pitfalls and pull a few nuggets of knowledge out if I did start. It would seem I'm beating a dead horse to go down down a dead end road. I will give you melt value for your two dollar bills though.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I never asked how much anyone had, I asked what would be enough. All my questions are very vague on purpose. This thread is going exactly the way I though it would go. NO one has any. NO one has any interest in it. NO one holds any in their portfolio. The average family holds none. NO one uses it for any kind of transacting whatsoever. This is why I have not really considered it. The only reason I even asked is because I heard someone say stocks, bonds, 401's, bonds, cd's are all nice but still all paper. I was just looking to avoid some pitfalls and pull a few nuggets of knowledge out if I did start. It would seem I'm beating a dead horse to go down down a dead end road. I will give you melt value for your two dollar bills though.
    IMO Gold, silver, jewels, and other highly valued items are all similar to stocks, bonds, and other paper investments. At the level most people deal with them they all require a third party to convert them to a fiat currency before they can be used. Depending on conditions that could be favorable or not. If the SHTF it may not even be possible to convert any of it into something useful. Better to stockpile food, defensive supplies, etc if that is your concern.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This thread is going exactly the way I though it would go. NO one has any. NO one has any interest in it. NO one holds any in their portfolio. The average family holds none. NO one uses it for any kind of transacting whatsoever. 
    Seems you’ve got all the answers, so why ask!?

Top Bottom