• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Depends on conditions. The usual 3 Bs first, plus water and the ability to purify it. In the end it's just shiny stuff, but it has attracted human interest for thousands of years. Same as fiat currency is just paper once people no longer value it. With silver, it at least is oligodynamic and antibacterial. Gold makes the best frying pans (so I've heard) - great heat conduction and non-stick.

Might make sense when conditions change from investment to survival to whatever is beyond that. Junk silver FTW, though I hear Mexican gold Pesos are undervalued.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I also thought it was about the cup game.

It has been fun.

Is stacking cups locker room fun.

shop-ATHLETIC-CUPS.jpg

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I have zero. How does something that does not appreciate help me build wealth?

LOL, how does a depreciating asset like cash, help you build wealth?

Does a stock that drops 40% help you create wealth?

And how can you fully trust the financial markets when we all know that Central Banks are destroying the fundamental accounting unit of society by creating new cash out of thin air and all have a prescribed target for inflation? (Inflation of course is nothing but the destruction of the store of value that real money possesses. Cash is just currency.)

How in today's crazy world of finacialization where counterparties and counterparies of counterparties have to be able to make good or valuations make no sense can anyone not own insurance?

10 years ago we saw what was holding the financial system together - nothing but hope. We had a debt crisis. Today, debt is far higher than it was and the ability to repay if even lower. It isn't a question of if the system will crack again there is only the question of when. Nothing has been fixed.

Gold won't make you wealthy it is to preserve wealth.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I never asked how much anyone had, I asked what would be enough. All my questions are very vague on purpose. This thread is going exactly the way I though it would go. NO one has any. NO one has any interest in it. NO one holds any in their portfolio. The average family holds none. NO one uses it for any kind of transacting whatsoever. This is why I have not really considered it. The only reason I even asked is because I heard someone say stocks, bonds, 401's, bonds, cd's are all nice but still all paper. I was just looking to avoid some pitfalls and pull a few nuggets of knowledge out if I did start. It would seem I'm beating a dead horse to go down down a dead end road. I will give you melt value for your two dollar bills though.

I think it would be prudent to have at least 10% in gold and depending on how you feel about the financial system even more. Gold is insurance against the insanity.

Commanding Heights : Keynes on Inflation | on PBS

Lenin was certainly right. There is no subtler, no surer means of overturning the existing basis of society than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Traded a beat up old Ranger .22 for 5 peace dollars at the Muncie show saturday.

Does that count? LOL.

Interestingly enough, I immediately turned into Ebenezer Scrooge and played with them the rest of the day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    People wont say how much gold or silver they have but they will post pictures of thousands of dollars of guns, ammo, night vision, mags, optics, personal vehicles, their houses, faces, vacations, pets, ect
    Oh the internet, you never let me down.

I'm not innocent in it all, but I try to be somewhat careful. Some people dont give a **** ...
    Until someone asks about their gold and silver stacks :):

I stack alittle. I keep track of what I bought it for. I'll trade for stuff sometimes if I'm cash short in the spending budget and want a new toy. My investments are completely seperate from my hobbies. Gold and silver I believe are a good investment.

Silver below $15 is a buy.
    Gold below 1300 is a buy.
    I also believe platinum is a great investment and is way undervalued and will be going back up so it's a buy.
    5% is probably a good number
    For a younger person investing (under 40) I'd say 10% wouldnt hurt you. When you hit 40, go to 5%.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Some of us won't do that either. I have posted a couple, but for the rest you will need a camera in a waterproof enclosure and scuba equipment.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Heres one thing about physical gold and silver (I mean what's in your hand, not paper gold and silver and not paper stocks and bonds). Its yours! If SHTF you can trade it for real stuff.
    When the markets collapse again one day all of the people who are proud of all of the gold and silver on paper that they have are going to be very dissapointed because they oversell it. Just like our fake paper money. You dont really have anything until it's in your hand. Wouldnt be the first time people lose fortunes overnight. For cash deposits, The federal government only insures you for so much per institution. If you have over that amount you also may consider putting it into other banks.

In Indiana you dont have to pay taxes on precious metals now, so that's a win in terms of investment too.

Im glad I'm poor so I dont have to worry about losing anything

Last edited:
    Top Bottom