• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I’m a casual home improver at best. If something needs fixing around my house I’llusually at least try to fix it myself. Mechanical, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, etc. Some things I’m better at than others. Every once in a while I have a repair that would go better if I had the ability and equipment to weld. My only prior experience with welding something was using oxygen/acetylene or an arc welder decades ago working in my Dad’s garage.

If I would only have a need a few to a dozen or so times a year is it worth it for me to learn the skill AND buy enough equipment to be able to do some welding on my own. Just for the fun of it I viewed a couple of YouTube videos. I even checked Harbor Freight to get an idea of cost fully realizing HF isn’t the place to buy premier quality equipment.

Is the learning curve and equipment cost too steep for only a casual user ? I’m not opposed to paying to have something done where I don’thave the skill, but there are no local welding shops near me I run across. The time and inconvenience of having to take a project somewhere is another deterrent. Should I just check the yellow pages should the need arise ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you looking at a wire feed or a stick. The wire feed is far more versatile. It will require a bit more prep but you can get some fair machines that will run on 115v. They are limited as to duty cycle time but if you are just fixing the fence etc these units do an OK job. Easy to learn as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was in your shoes 10+ years ago. I started with a simple flux core wire welder and quickly replaced that with a wire mig. My mig is affordable but also has a spool gun for aluminum.

Being able to weld aluminum brackets has been great for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was in your shoes 10+ years ago. I started with a simple flux core wire welder and quickly replaced that with a wire mig. My mig is affordable but also has a spool gun for aluminum.

Being able to weld aluminum brackets has been great for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Flux core is OK on a cheap unit. Get one with the gas option. Better welds. I have a Tig with a wire section. Been a while since I put any heat in it but I have it and I can use it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Yes. We use MIG at our body shop. It's really not too difficult. Good equipment is a must. I'm a Miller guy myself.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Welding is a very useful skill. Not difficult or expensive to learn and practice. I say give it a go. You won't be sorry.

My pole barn was wired for 220v when we moved in so the welders were purchased shortly after.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mig is easier than arc and oxy/acetylene (depending on what your doing) and there are so many applications around the garage and house for it. And mig with a tank is way cleaner in the long run.

At work I had all the 220 machines at my disposal but the houses I've lived in were limited. I wanted the best and most powerful I could get that was still 110. I went with the biggest 110 Millermatic Mig w/tank and never looked back. I can do a fencing job from scratch without it laboring at all. Power up for plates and bar. Power down for thin tubing. The cheaper ones usually aren't very reliable with the thin stuff to give a steady wire feed. That gets frustrating.

Only other thing I would suggest- If you have power issues in the house (like I always have) get a big cable extension cord. I found an old 100 foot theatre lighting cable and put on some heavy duty Hubbell connectors. It should last forever. Never had the welder starve yet.

I've heard Lincolns are good but I like the color BLUE better. :):

Buy once cry once.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Flux core is OK on a cheap unit. Get one with the gas option. Better welds. I have a Tig with a wire section. Been a while since I put any heat in it but I have it and I can use it.

The higher quality wire is flux core and a back gas is used...
    My standwire is Esab 7100,. Super clean welds and with flux and back gas almost non-existent spatter..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Mig is easier than arc and oxy/acetylene (depending on what your doing) and there are so many applications around the garage and house for it. And mig with a tank is way cleaner in the long run.

At work I had all the 220 machines at my disposal but the houses I've lived in were limited. I wanted the best and most powerful I could get that was still 110. I went with the biggest 110 Millermatic Mig w/tank and never looked back. I can do a fencing job from scratch without it laboring at all. Power up for plates and bar. Power down for thin tubing. The cheaper ones usually aren't very reliable with the thin stuff to give a steady wire feed. That gets frustrating.

Only other thing I would suggest- If you have power issues in the house (like I always have) get a big cable extension cord. I found an old 100 foot theatre lighting cable and put on some heavy duty Hubbell connectors. It should last forever. Never had the welder starve yet.

I've heard Lincolns are good but I like the color BLUE better. :):

Buy once cry once.

I agree, my smallest machine is a 220 Hobart 170 machine. I have friends that have bought 110 machines and like above, most are more trouble than they are worth, exspecially to someone who doesn't know how to weld and set up a machine.
    My little Hobart will easily burn through 1/4" mild plate with .035 solid wire. All I use it for is to tack parts together and when someone new wants to play with a mig machine.
    My other migs are an Esab 250 and a 260 and a suitcase for the Bobcat.
    Yellow is my preferred color.
    When you buy a welder, you definitely get what you pay for.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    If you can use it a few times a year, yes it's worth it.

O-A and stick take practice. TIG I only have experience at work on machines with all the bells and whistles (and a lot of zeros in the price tag). It's slower but easier to adjust on the fly to make good welds but that might just be my experience or lack of training. I don't know if a machine in your budget would be as easy.

That leaves MIG. If you can look at the weld and figure out whether you need to turn it up or down, it's almost as easy as a hot glue gun. Just remember to turn the bottle off after using it.

I have a clark 120v MIG that I'll upgrade one day when I break it or get fed up with it but after several spools (couple 2lb and mostly through the second 10lb) of wire, I haven't even had to change the tip yet (good thing too since I haven't found any the right size).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    This is something I really want to get into. My goal was to buy a welder this year and learn how to use it, but I got obsessed with long range .22LR rifles and the money went to them. :n00b:

Now I need to sell a few more knives so I can get a welder next year.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I picked up a Hobart 210 from Farm a fleet last year for around a $100 off local and internet prices. It still goes on sale there regularly, you just have to watch out for it. I love it and it is very useful around the garage. Also, it can take a spool gun, runs on 110 and 220.

however, I have never had good luck running spool guns in my friends welding shop so I haven't bothered to get one.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...I've heard Lincolns are good but I like the color BLUE better. :):....

Oh, do you favor Eastwoods cause they're such a great value for the price? Yea I know...explanation not necessary.

Have had a Lincoln WeldPak for ten years that gets plugged in maybe twice a year, just the same, plan to be buried with it. Parted ways with an Eastwood 175 while downsizing. Are either of these welders suited for HD daily use? No, but for the occasional hobbyist they're both a great value. Getting back to the OP, if I had more friends with welders, I'd really have no need for one.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So, I've been sort of looking at used welders and find that there are too many brands and too many different models to really make heads or tails out of what would be a decent one to start with and learn on. Any input, or is it just a "buy whatever you can find and you'll know what you don't like about it when you buy the next one" kind of thing? I know everyone has their brand preferences when it comes to everything, but what are some to truly stay away from?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Miller and Lincoln are the industry standards. There are others that are good, but I would suggest sticking to the known brands. I prefer Lincoln, but that's only because that's what I learned on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless I know where a used welder is coming from or it has some sort of warr. on it from a reputable dealer I will pass. I have seen the way people treat these machines especially if not owning them and even then they get beat up. For the difference you can buy new. Unless you possibly get one from a friend and know the history. JMHO. I am sure many have done this with good results.

Top Bottom