Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 90 Day Corn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sigblitz View Post
    My daughter has 200 acres in Huntingburg, passed down from the family. She has 3 different people planting corn on it.
    You do realize that some parts of the state are different than others, right?

Are you trying to imply that farmers who haven't planted all of their ground yet have only themselves to blame?
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

A week ago I was listening to an interview of Tim Ryan who said that farmers were not planting because of Donald Trump and the Chinese tariffs. The wet weather never came up.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    A week ago I was listening to an interview of Tim Ryan who said that farmers were not planting because of Donald Trump and the Chinese tariffs. The wet weather never came up.
    I'm sure this is true as well. As with most things, there is rarely ever a single cause.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Maybe that's true.

Or maybe Tim Ryan is ignorant as well.

That, or ya know, the fact that he was a PolySci major in college, went to law school, and has now been in public office since he attained the ripe old age of 29...

He MIGHT not be a qualified observer, even if he has lots of words.

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
    My FIL writes crop insurance, and he says if they can't plant by the 10th then they just aren't going to. The losses will be too high.
    Different crop or just let it go to hay?

The soybean market ain't that hot right now, so that's not a great option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spear Dane View Post

2 weeks of corn futures in 4 hour candlesticks.
    Ouch.

Combine that with import tariffs, and lack of exports due to tariffs... a dollar ain't gonna go as far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post

At my family's farm in Maryland we went to Sorghum in rotation.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagyu52 View Post
    Iím farming with antiques, tractor is a 1982, paid it off 25 years ago. Paid $5000 for my planter itís a 96, combine is a 94. No auto steer, rate control or yield monitor but I do have air conditioning, a planter monitor to know if Iím planting and light bar for my sprayer. Farming sure has changed in the last 20 yrs. or so.
    Watched my neighbors expand and change, take on debt, risk and stress that canít be absorbed by one generation and I ask myself why? Yet as a now part time farmer I would jump at the chance to expand and very envious of what they have. Often wonder how they view me?
    They probably view you as the guy who will buy their farm at the auction when they go bust.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post

If they take prevent plant corn there is a restriction on what can be planted as a cover crop, soybeans are a no. Most guys Iíve talked to that have the ability to make hay or have cattle are leaning towards oats, it canít be harvested till after November 1. But most farmers no longer have cattle and/or hay equipment, going to be a small percentage that can take advantage of that.
    Tetelestai.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wagyu52 View Post
    For commodity prices to raise this drastically somebody is/going to take a big hit. Just think the best price in 3 yea and you canít take advantage because it keeps raining and you have nothing planted, very frustrating for a lot of farmers.
    And a great situation for others. This is farming. Generally, there is no such thing a steady and predictable.

​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast