• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've heard from multiple sources that fields need to be dry for a solid week in order to be able to plant. We've barely gone a solid DAY without rain.

That can't be it. It's more likely that 78% of the farmers in Indiana are just lazy. Yeah. That's it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It seems you have your mind made up already, so I guess I won't bother wasting my time to try to moderate your lack of perspective.

I am no diehard pro-farmer. I think I have illustrated that there was a fair amount of hubris and materialism there for awhile that should have been replaced with gratefulness and savings.

That begin said, it's a real blend of people, and it's a real BLEND of reasons that have gotten the situation to this point.

You don't seem to grasp that, due to what I think is just prejudice. Please hold on to your hate with both arms, so that nobody else gets infected.

-Nate

No hate. Just pointing out I hear it every year, too wet to plant. I'll hear it again next year.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My daughter has 200 acres in Huntingburg, passed down from the family. She has 3 different people planting corn on it.

NRj6PUj.jpg

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I think what the OP was referring to is 90 day contract corn futures on the commodities markets.
    That's sell price & deliver by dates.

The tip off is when they say "March Beans" or "May Corn", no corn or beans are being harvested in March or May...

--------

Now for farmers...

Land Speculators.
    Real Estate Developers.
    Urban Sprawl.
    Corporate Farms.
    Foreign Investors.
    Processor Price Fixing.
    Commodities Speculators.
    EPA Changes.
    Chemical Companies.
    Unrealistic Taxing Structures
    Insurance Companies/Banking Collusion.
    An Uncertain Fuel Market.
    Failing Infrastructure.

This is the short list of things farmers have to be experts in BEFORE they consider things like weather, pests, weeds & fungus....

Most crops are mortgaged at the bank BEFORE they are planted.
    The mega dollar equipment, the fuel costs, the seed stock, which you have to guess if it will be a wet or dry year months before you plant to order your stock, then you have to HOPE the weather cooperates...

With a mortgage, with interest, you also have to buy insurance.
    Banking & insurance go hand & hand...

Then you have to construct storage for the crop when it comes out of the fields.
    Keep in mind the big processors won't take the grain right away, they want YOU to trickle it in over time, as much as a year.
    That means trucks & trailers, elevators & grain bins, a large energy consumption to keep the moisture content low enough mold/fungus doesn't destroy it.
    You also have varmint/pest issues.

While the bank has seals on the grain bins since the grain is 'Collateral' for the mortgage, the cost of insurance marches on, the grain just sits there with YOU having to maintain it...

Some banks collude with processors to lock your selling price in before they will issue the mortgage for the seed stock.
    That price is usually low, so if the market shoots up, you get screwed since the crop was sold before you planted it, harvested it, stored it, maintained it until the processor decided they wanted it, then you got to truck that crop off to the processor loosing money every step of the way.

Your 10 year harvest average is what you can borrow, have 2 bad years in a row, that average drops and you can't borrow enough to get the fields planted...
    Every insurance company screws you when a crop fails, they only cover a percentage of the 'Average', and you get stuck with the rest,
    Or they pay the bank back for the mortgage, you are still out for machines, fuel, fertilizers/pesticides/herbicides.

And once you make a claim for a failed crop, the insurance goes WAY up...
    Rain took your crop? F**k you, pay me.
    Tornado took the crop? F**k you, pay me.
    Drought took the crop? F**k you, pay me.
    Some idiot planted GMO next to you and it cross bred, now you can't sell it? F**k you, pay me.
    Taxes jumped 30%? F**k you, pay me.
    Fuel jumped to $5 a gallon? F**k you, pay me.
    The contract buyer didn't want the grain until August and it dried out, you got fined? F**k you, pay me.

--------------

I'm biased....
    I grew up in farm country, I came back to farm country, I have family that are farmers...
    I've spent 24 hours a day planting when the fields FINALLY dried out,
    I've spent 24 straight hours harvesting when the weather threatened the crop.
    I got up well before daylight, did farm chores, ate breakfast & changed cloths, went to school, got home from school, changed cloths, and worked till well after dark.
    Next day, repeat, next day, repeat,....

I saw what happened when Smithfield (largest pork producer in the world) sold out to the Chinese and they collapsed the pork industry.
    300 pound hogs selling for $30.
    Do you know how much care, time, food, water & shelter it takes to produce 300 pound hogs?
    If not, then you don't have the right to complain...

Farmers complained to the government and anyone else that would listen about price fixing for 30 years...
    Until the processors gouged the US military nothing was done, and the result was a few fines to ADM & others and they don't gouge the government anymore, but the farmers still get screwed.

When the farmers tried to direct market, the big processors simply undersold them until they couldn't afford to do it anymore, and jacked the prices back up again. The government did nothing about any of it.

China owns an estimated 30% of US farm land right now and is buying at a furious pace, no restrictions at all on how much US farm land they can buy up.
    When it becomes unprofitable, it gets sold off to developers, and that farm ground is lost forever.
    Less farm land means less production & higher prices, just in case you aren't following the line of thought...

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/27/723501793/american-soil-is-increasingly-foreign-owned

With tariffs farmers spent 40 years getting removed, but Trump throws down like free candy to kids,
    China is buying from Russia. The best thing to happen to Russian agricultural products ever is Trump.
    The US farmer is loosing market share they fought so hard to gain...

Then some idiots buy land in your township/tax district, pays $20,000 an acre for 2 acres in a few places, suddenly your taxes shoot way up because they built a McMansion on the property and called it a 'Farm'.
    Then they proceed to sue you because actual farms 'Smell Bad' and they complain about the heavy equipment & trucks, etc creating all kinds of trouble for you...
    All because they wanted to move to 'The Country' and don't understand farming.

Then we have the Citiots (city idiots) that show up on 4 wheelers, SUVs, dirt bikes and tear the hell out of fields, dump trash, tear down fences, shoot up buildings, vehicles & equipment, start fires, steal anything that isn't nailed down, get hurt (trespassing) on your land, and sue the crap out of you...

*IF* you 'Think' you are tough, try farming...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    No hate. Just pointing out I hear it every year, too wet to plant. I'll hear it again next year.

You'll do more than get tired of 'Hearing' about it...

People complain rather than do something about it.

With climate change, it's getting worse, too late of frost/freeze, too much rain in the spring, too hot/long summers, more/worse storms/tornados...
    What this means for you is higher prices at the grocery store & food joints.

I'm sure most won't connect the dots instead of blaming price fixing processors/brokers, they will blame farmers which are getting screwed too.
    The ignorant/stupid never point fingers in the correct direction.

Never, EVER complain about US farmers when you haven't missed a meal your entire life!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Talking to my dad last night, looking at the neighbors fleet of $180K, 30 row corn planters, attached to their $200K tractors, all just sitting, waiting.

He commented, bet ya old Jerry wishes he'd kept his dad's John Deere 4 row corn planter and 3010 tractor. Cause he coulda got that in a field a week ago.:laugh:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I’m farming with antiques, tractor is a 1982, paid it off 25 years ago. Paid $5000 for my planter it’s a 96, combine is a 94. No auto steer, rate control or yield monitor but I do have air conditioning, a planter monitor to know if I’m planting and light bar for my sprayer. Farming sure has changed in the last 20 yrs. or so.
    Watched my neighbors expand and change, take on debt, risk and stress that can’t be absorbed by one generation and I ask myself why? Yet as a now part time farmer I would jump at the chance to expand and very envious of what they have. Often wonder how they view me?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My daughter has 200 acres in Huntingburg, passed down from the family. She has 3 different people planting corn on it.

You do realize that some parts of the state are different than others, right?

Are you trying to imply that farmers who haven't planted all of their ground yet have only themselves to blame?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A week ago I was listening to an interview of Tim Ryan who said that farmers were not planting because of Donald Trump and the Chinese tariffs. The wet weather never came up.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    A week ago I was listening to an interview of Tim Ryan who said that farmers were not planting because of Donald Trump and the Chinese tariffs. The wet weather never came up.

I'm sure this is true as well. As with most things, there is rarely ever a single cause.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Maybe that's true.

Or maybe Tim Ryan is ignorant as well.

That, or ya know, the fact that he was a PolySci major in college, went to law school, and has now been in public office since he attained the ripe old age of 29...

He MIGHT not be a qualified observer, even if he has lots of words.

-Nate

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My FIL writes crop insurance, and he says if they can't plant by the 10th then they just aren't going to. The losses will be too high.

Different crop or just let it go to hay?

The soybean market ain't that hot right now, so that's not a great option.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I’m farming with antiques, tractor is a 1982, paid it off 25 years ago. Paid $5000 for my planter it’s a 96, combine is a 94. No auto steer, rate control or yield monitor but I do have air conditioning, a planter monitor to know if I’m planting and light bar for my sprayer. Farming sure has changed in the last 20 yrs. or so.
    Watched my neighbors expand and change, take on debt, risk and stress that can’t be absorbed by one generation and I ask myself why? Yet as a now part time farmer I would jump at the chance to expand and very envious of what they have. Often wonder how they view me?

They probably view you as the guy who will buy their farm at the auction when they go bust.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Different crop or just let it go to hay?

The soybean market ain't that hot right now, so that's not a great option.

If they take prevent plant corn there is a restriction on what can be planted as a cover crop, soybeans are a no. Most guys I’ve talked to that have the ability to make hay or have cattle are leaning towards oats, it can’t be harvested till after November 1. But most farmers no longer have cattle and/or hay equipment, going to be a small percentage that can take advantage of that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For commodity prices to raise this drastically somebody is/going to take a big hit. Just think the best price in 3 yea and you can’t take advantage because it keeps raining and you have nothing planted, very frustrating for a lot of farmers.

And a great situation for others. This is farming. Generally, there is no such thing a steady and predictable.

Top Bottom