Whats that noise? Recommended auto repair SW side of Indy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    need to get my 2012 Kia Forte into the shop. Could be transmission, I'm not sure.

Runs and drives fine, but there is a strange "growl" at low RPM. Hear it a little in park. Put it in gear and it gets loud. But only when RPMs are below 1,100 and in low gear. (or reverse) Once you are underway and RPMs increase, it goes away.

Suggestions as to what it could be? Suggestion for a shop?

you can hear it at the beginning for 2 revs. Then the thunk of me shifting to park. then a rev with no growl.

http://www.kd9uri.com/pics/Growl.mp3

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    You might have a wolverine caught under your engine. I guess getting help depends on which one is growling at you!

635895831718974808-AFP-548338813.jpg

VS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    160k, it does need a fluid/filter change. noise started slowly at about 10k ago (its a sealed system. No dipstick or other driver serviceable items) And no apparent leaks.

So you went 160 with no service.
    Oh yeah you are that guy. The lawn mower if memory serves.....:):
    Or not.

People.......50K max service the trans.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So you went 160 with no service.
    Oh yeah you are that guy. The lawn mower if memory serves.....:):
    Or not.

People.......50K max service the trans.

I've had great luck so far in my many vehicles since 1989(?). In fact the one and only trans I followed the mfr recommended fluid maintenance was my Saturn Vue. CVT died at 130k, totalling it. :xmad:

And the lawn mowers? Whats the point of keeping the motor running forever if the rest of it falls apart anyway? Ive NEVER lost a push mower due to engine failure. Its always the rest of it that goes to :poop: (drive system, wheels, etc) So cut me some slack on the mowers, will ya? :): TOTALLY different animal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've had great luck so far in my many vehicles since 1989(?). In fact the one and only trans I followed the mfr recommended fluid maintenance was my Saturn Vue. CVT died at 130k, totalling it. :xmad:

And the lawn mowers? Whats the point of keeping the motor running forever if the rest of it falls apart anyway? Ive NEVER lost a push mower due to engine failure. Its always the rest of it that goes to :poop: (drive system, wheels, etc) So cut me some slack on the mowers, will ya? :): TOTALLY different animal.

Nope. Not on the trans.....:p
    The mower was just an add on for effect.....:):

There was a day that 90/100k was it for many auto slush-boxes. 96K on my 97 Yukon but that was more the norm if you worked it and we did but I did 2 changes on it and was told it would have died some where in the 80K range had I not. So it might be a dice roll but seriously my brother....130K will not fair well.

Yeah I hear the story's "I got 175K out of mine with no service" OK cool. Run-em hard and ignore them if you want. Its yours after all.

Just a good beating on you my friend. :):

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately more than a few manufacturers have sealed the transmission so the only way to replace the fluid is to replace the transmission. I used to work for Allison Transmissions and could never understand the desire for lifetime fluid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unfortunately more than a few manufacturers have sealed the transmission so the only way to replace the fluid is to replace the transmission. I used to work for Allison Transmissions and could never understand the desire for lifetime fluid.

Regulate what "Lifetime" is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Googling around I can change the fluid. I just cant drain it and fill it back via the dipstick. (or just add) I have to drain it, remove the air cleaner assembly to get to the fill, get it to temp, then pull a plug on the side so that some dribbles out to evacuate the excess. Though at this point I am concerned it could exacerbate the issue. Wife wants a new car anyway so I may buy her one and take hers.

oh, and the filter is permanent too. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Googling around I can change the fluid. I just cant drain it and fill it back via the dipstick. (or just add) I have to drain it, remove the air cleaner assembly to get to the fill, get it to temp, then pull a plug on the side so that some dribbles out to evacuate the excess. Though at this point I am concerned it could exacerbate the issue. Wife wants a new car anyway so I may buy her one and take hers.

oh, and the filter is permanent too. :rolleyes:

The noise you describe is mechanical. I admit to not watching the video. Drain the fluid. Use a flash light and see how much metallic sparkle is in the fluid. If dense you are screwed. Changing it now will only be to get it to the shop or trade it in.,

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Try Christian Brothers and/or Green's Automotive?

CB is right at Smith Valley and Morgantown, and Green's is not too far south of there on Morgantown.

Does the sound increase at all when you turn the steering wheel while parked? If so - then you may need more power steering fluid or pump. Is there an easy way that you can check the serpentine belt tensioner?

Top Bottom