Whats that noise? Recommended auto repair SW side of Indy.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If you were close to my area I'd be happy to take a look for you. I am gonna recommend you don't change the fluid. With that many miles, and never being serviced, you'll do more harm than good. Especially in transmissions you cannot change the filter. New ATF is very high in detergent and will wash all the grit and grime that's within the trans and more than likely plug the filter. Then you're screwed. Car wont move.

Just my :twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Unfortunately more than a few manufacturers have sealed the transmission so the only way to replace the fluid is to replace the transmission. I used to work for Allison Transmissions and could never understand the desire for lifetime fluid.

I have had some Toyotas with what I understood to be sealed systems, but maybe it is different from what you describe as the transmission fluid was still able to be changed, there was just not a "dipstick", etc.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you were close to my area I'd be happy to take a look for you. I am gonna recommend you don't change the fluid. With that many miles, and never being serviced, you'll do more harm than good. Especially in transmissions you cannot change the filter. New ATF is very high in detergent and will wash all the grit and grime that's within the trans and more than likely plug the filter. Then you're screwed. Car wont move.

Just my :twocents:

I've heard folks say this, but usually in the context of some of the shops that use a "flush" system as opposed to doing a drop the pan and fill multiple times or a non forceful pump it out method and then ad new fluid. Have you actually seen this in those cases?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've heard folks say this, but usually in the context of some of the shops that use a "flush" system as opposed to doing a drop the pan and fill multiple times or a non forceful pump it out method and then ad new fluid. Have you actually seen this in those cases?

Definitely have seen it from just doing a pan drop and filter change. Doing a pan drop will only remove 1/3 to 1/2 the fluid and it's still enough clean fluid to "finish off" a trans.

It becomes even more of an issue when the filter is Internal to the trans

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Definitely have seen it from just doing a pan drop and filter change. Doing a pan drop will only remove 1/3 to 1/2 the fluid and it's still enough clean fluid to "finish off" a trans.

It becomes even more of an issue when the filter is Internal to the trans

Thanks for the real world info, it is appreciated. In the cases where I personally had it done there were no existing issues and it was unclear from vehicle history if it had been done or not so I went ahead and had it done with no issues after. I'm guessing the key there was that there were not any issues presenting themselves and no indications of burnt fluid, etc. Understanding this is a small sample size, and there were no pre-existing issues on these, are probably big factors. Also makes sense on the internal filter aspect.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OP, I've had good luck having a bunch of work done at Raymond's in Plainfield. They are not the cheapest in town (they do have some coupons on their website), but I've had some pretty extensive work done there as we have 4 vehicles (2 college age kids are part of that). They have always done a good job and were good at communication and listening to me about the concerns, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update: Last thursday I took the wife shopping for the Kia Sportage she WANTED last year but was too small for our vacation 30 days later at that time. (and she didnt want to buy a trailer, hitch, etc) So she has never been totally happy with what she's been driving. (a 2019 Sorento) We traded her minivan in, so even a Sorento was downsizing on cargo volume for luggage, coolers, groceries, toys, etc.

Drove the Sportage and it was good.

Drove the new Seltos because it was slightly cheaper. Looks SHARP! And decent pricing, but its Kia dipping their toes into the 4x4 market so suspension was too stiff for her and the interior was TIIIIII-NEEEEEE. The thing had double "oh :poop:" bars for the front passenger... One by your left knee on the center console and the other in the usual spot, so they anticipate taking it on rougher terrain. But we couldnt get over how cramped the front passenger area was.

On a whim she drove the Soul, which we poo-pooed back when we bought my Forte in 2012 but it was too flimsy feeling. (I closed the door during the walkaround back then and it felt like a Jeep Wrangler door so we didnt even bother driving one) But she REALLY liked these new ones. Its bigger now, has a solid feel, and was cheaper than the Sportage so we both like the payment better.

So we traded in my Forte and got her what she wanted (finally). And with 0% financing, and incentives, it made more sense for us than used. (I was even able to trade for what I'd get out if it in cash)

So now I think I qualify for husband of the year for buying my wife TWO new cars in as many years and taking her hand-me-downs. :rockwoot: (OK, so I get the bigger, better, more expensive V6 SUV, but lets not think about that now... :):)

I tried the "Hey honey, I just bought you a new car (again) can I buy myself __________?" but she didnt buy it. She reminded me of my upgraded ride as well.

And I've learned that these trannies NEED the flush at the prescribed intervals. So not skipping those when they come up.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Trust me... Not my first choice. We are going to try following the maintenance to the letter this time.

Say the manual says to have the transmission fluid checked at 50k miles and changed at 100k... Go ahead and spring to have it changed at 50k. Essentially double the frequency of the transmission maintenance.

Insanity is doing something again and again and expecting different results.

"Sigh"

High-five to CM. :D

Top Bottom