Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

LTCH and Mental health

My father went to get the form to fill out to get is LTCH. On the form it ask the question about being treated for mental health problems and if so you need to submit paper work from your doc. (i don't know the exact wording I didn't read it and its been awhile since I filled on out)

My father suffered from depression several years ago and was treated for it. Has anyone dealt with this issue when applying for a LTCH? Does depression fall into this? I would say so since it is a mental health issue but it so common I didn't know. I told him he should probably say yes and get the paper work just incase.

Is this something that could cause them to not issue a LTCH to him?
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel when he's holding a gun." Homer J. Simpson.

User Info Menu

If his doctor can submit proof that he is not a threat to himself or others than there isn't a reason that they wouldn't issue a permit to him.

User Info Menu

I had received grief/depression counseling about 5 years prior to my application, I had a two sentence letter from my doctor just stating that I'd received treatment and had stopped treatment with a successful outcome, the PD scanned a copy of the record to keep on their local file and there's a checkbox on the form about it, but it doesn't seem to have any actual affect on getting the license. Tinfoil hat mode, the only purpose I see it serving is a "Lets get guns away from those dangerous mental invalids! did you check the box? sorry." But that's a pretty far outlier, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get the letter of treatment.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rcuhljr View Post
    I had received grief/depression counseling about 5 years prior to my application, I had a two sentence letter from my doctor just stating that I'd received treatment and had stopped treatment with a successful outcome, the PD scanned a copy of the record to keep on their local file and there's a checkbox on the form about it, but it doesn't seem to have any actual affect on getting the license. Tinfoil hat mode, the only purpose I see it serving is a "Lets get guns away from those dangerous mental invalids! did you check the box? sorry." But that's a pretty far outlier, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, just get the letter of treatment.
    Cool thanks that was what I thought. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience with it.
    Ted Nugent

When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel when he's holding a gun." Homer J. Simpson.

Building Bridges Between Ammo Forts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by schwaky18 View Post
    (i don't know the exact wording I didn't read it and its been awhile since I filled on out)
    Box: Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care of an emotional or mental illness? Y/N

Next Box: If Yes, (a) list year of recent treatment, and

Next Box: (b) submit documentation recommendation from treating Mental Health Professional or Treatment Center.
    I AM NOT A LAWYER, but it would seem the intent here is psychiatric health care, and some level of recentness. I.E. not marital counseling from your Rabbi/Priest nor the counsellor you saw 30 years ago when your parents were divorcing. Now, beyond that I do not know exactly.

User Info Menu

Future applications will have you submit your INgunowners S/N so they can review your posts...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by techres View Post
    I AM NOT A LAWYER, but it would seem the intent here is psychiatric health care, and some level of recentness. I.E. not marital counseling from your Rabbi/Priest nor the counsellor you saw 30 years ago when your parents were divorcing. Now, beyond that I do not know exactly.
    Well he saw a psychologist and got "happy pills" so i think it would fall under it. But I agree with you just counseling would probably not count.

Quote Originally Posted by -XL- View Post
    Future applications will have you submit your INgunowners S/N so they can review your posts...
    Well I'm screwed when I go to renew in March. If I create a new s/n can I just list that or do I have to lost all past s/n.
    Ted Nugent

User Info Menu

I take a happy pill every day and and when I filled mine out my dark-sided lower companion monkey said that I didn't have to mark yes...... Hey it works for Gary Busey.... LOL

If you are on medication for something other then depression or anxiety or if you have been hospitalized for attempted suicide then you need to mark yes.... at least this is what they told me.
    "If we have learned anything from zombies it is that once you have had human flesh you can't be trusted to stop by the store the next time your hungry." - Repair

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by repair View Post
    I take a happy pill every day and and when I filled mine out my dark-sided lower companion monkey said that I didn't have to mark yes...... Hey it works for Gary Busey.... LOL

If you are on medication for something other then depression or anxiety or if you have been hospitalized for attempted suicide then you need to mark yes.... at least this is what they told me.

LOL, who is "they"? (the monkey again)

User Info Menu

Hmmm... has the question changed?

I don't remember the wording being that way.

AMERICA - Clinging to our GUNS and RELIGION since 1776.

NRA Certified Instructor - Rifle, Pistol
    www.danvilleconservationclub.org
    www.jpfrog.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast