• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I have a friend who is schizophrenic. He was denied a permit based on his disorder, he is only the second person I know who has been denied a permit.
    I added this to the thread just to illustrate a situation where mental illness resulted in a denial. I don't know all the details but his care was not mandated by the state, however I believe no doctor would submit proof that he is not a threat to himself or others.

If treatment was not mandated by the court and it was dealt with through medical only, there is no reason in the world for it to have become public information other than his own ignorance or an illegal privacy invasion. It just doesn't pay to tell everything you know.

We're from the government and we're here to help!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Keep in mind as well that this specifies "psychiatric". If you were seen by a psychologist, i.e. not an M.D., this should not affect you in the slightest. To my way of thinking, both are immaterial, however the psychologist just talks to you. The psychiatrist gives drugs. If that's the point of differentiation, I suppose it makes sense in some convoluted, irrational government frame of mind. To my way of thinking, if someone is so dangerous they cannot be trusted (in whose opinion?) with guns, they need to be incarcerated, not out in society where the rest of us are. Conversely, if they're "out", they are trustworthy. Of course, this would require making it true and keeping those who are criminally insane segregated from society as a whole.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    If a court and or a judge have anything to do with helping you help yourself inpatient or outpatient and now you feel much better now is the only reason for an affirmative response to such question.
    There seems to be much confusion over at the VA and thousands of vets with PTSS have been listed mental. Do not help the authorities abuse an administrative rule and other broadly written law against others and yourself.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Thanks for all of your help. He ended up just getting a note from the doctor. I think it is total BS to have to go through these steps. And I think it is an illegal question also. However, the only problem I see with not saying yes, when in fact you should say yes, would be if you ever had to use your CCW and then an overzealous prosecutor tries to use it against you.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Schwaky18,
    He did it right. I just want to note that some of the posts regarding the issue of ever being adjudicated mentally defective refer to the FFL transfer form. The question on Indiana's application for a handgun license is very broad. I checked yes, got a letter from my doc, and got my permit, no problem.
    If I recall correctly, the app. is signed under oath, so a person is taking a chance by not telling the truth. I think the question sucks, though.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    He did it right. I just want to note that some of the posts regarding the issue of ever being adjudicated mentally defective refer to the FFL transfer form. The question on Indiana's application for a handgun license is very broad. I checked yes, got a letter from my doc, and got my permit, no problem.

The term "mental incompetence" is what is used in the Indiana code defining license qualification. As far as I can tell the only way to be declared mentally incompetent is by way of the courts which qualifies the term "adjudicated mentally defective." The 4473s have their own separate deficiencies and their own Indiana code.

Schwaky18,
    If I recall correctly, the app. is signed under oath, so a person is taking a chance by not telling the truth. I think the question sucks, though.

Without proper definition there is no untruth. All seems to be left up to individual interpretation which means there can be no wrong answer so I can see no reason to invite problems that don't actually exist.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I believe that MOST if not ALL so-called depression is due to a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE and is considered a MEDICAL issue, not mental.
    Meds tend to correct the problem.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Without proper definition there is no untruth. All seems to be left up to individual interpretation which means there can be no wrong answer so I can see no reason to invite problems that don't actually exist.

You've got a point here. The question is so poorly written, it's hard to tell what exactly they are asking, so why not interpret it narrowly.

Top Bottom