Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Peaceable Journey - Through the Wasteland that is IL

How would one go about transporting through the People's Republic in a minivan? Seems to me, anyone could conceivably gain access to the firearm simply due to the fact that the entire interior of the vehicle is the 'passenger compartment'.

I searched the forum for 'minivan' and came up with 9 unrelated threads, so I did search.

Also, if this belongs better in Politics & Laws, please move it.
    "The World's Not Safe Anymore" - Found etched into a door in NE KY,USA, 2010.

ATM

User Info Menu

Just an opinion here: In a locked box beyond the reach of the driver with the key.

www.reveresriders.org

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

User Info Menu

As ATM said, plus, unloaded with the ammo stored separately. When I go to east St Louis, I lock the guns in a 4 gun case, and just put the ammo in a duffel bag. Oh, and I certainly obey all traffic laws.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I don't think those steps make it legal. Suggest you check with a better authority than us.

Check this thread:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_...n_the_car.html

User Info Menu

Most vehicles have some sort of storage compartment in the back. I use the spare tire well on my Malibu Maxx.

User Info Menu

Unloaded and in a case (preferably one designed for firearms.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by purple72 View Post
    As ATM said, plus, unloaded with the ammo stored separately. When I go to east St Louis, I lock the guns in a 4 gun case, and just put the ammo in a duffel bag.
    I believe this is correct. Unloaded, in a container of some sort, ammo in a different container, out of reach. I don't believe it must be a locking container because there is nothing in the federal law that requires a locked container and as long as you are passing THROUGH a state the federal law should apply. So in theory a zippered pistol rug or soft sided shotgun/rifle case would be legal, as long as the gun is unloaded with no ammo in the case and it is out of the general passenger area (or drivers reach?) in a minivan. One would have to presume the same thing in an SUV.

You can't always bury a gun in the tire compartment because long arms will typically not fit under the floor in the tire area. A handgun may, in many cases, and that would probably be a good place to store a handgun for safe journey but not mandatory since it cannot be applied to all vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by arbitrary View Post
    I don't think those steps make it legal. Suggest you check with a better authority than us.

Check this thread:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_...n_the_car.html
    With regards to this one, there was no peaceable journey. The guy drove into the state with a loaded gun, slipped it under his seat. He went there to go to a bar with his girlfriend. He was pulled over, he was NOT drunk. The gun was loaded. The gun was not in a case. The gun was easily accessible to the driver. He clearly broke the law and he clearly did not qualify for peaceable journey because he went into the state not through the state, etc.

User Info Menu

Note that your magazines should be unloaded as well.

Meh.

Master

User Info Menu

The magazine doesn't have to be unloaded. The gun has to be unloaded, no round in the chamber, and the gun totally encased (soft or hard) and the ammo seperate.
    In a van, the best place would be behind the last seat (or under it, if it doesn't slide out). The ammo can be in the glove box compartment. (Or even in a console if it has a "lid" and is closed)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flagtag View Post
    The magazine doesn't have to be unloaded. The gun has to be unloaded, no round in the chamber, and the gun totally encased (soft or hard) and the ammo seperate.
    In a van, the best place would be behind the last seat (or under it, if it doesn't slide out). The ammo can be in the glove box compartment. (Or even in a console if it has a "lid" and is closed)

I'm looking for where I saw this, but haven't found it yet. What I read was that loaded magazines were the same as a loaded gun. Until I can find it, though, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Meh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast