• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A very interesting read. A retired Colonel sent me this to read here at the shop. It's from Massad Ayoob"s latest book, (and yes mods that is going to be the title of the book.) Please read the aftermath of the incident because it shows what a regular guy may have to go through after a shooting incident. I was going to post this in the class 3 forum but I thought the lesson was so important as to how the weapon you use to defend yourself could affect your trial that I wanted the article to get the maximum exposure. I did not see the post anywhere else so if it is a dupe please accept my apology beofrehand.

"F you and your high powered rifle!" The Gary Fadden incident - The Ayoob files | American Handgunner | Find Articles

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've read this one before. I believe it was posted on here not too long ago. But I could be wrong.

Also goes to show that a display of force, (even over-whelming force,) is not always enough. Some people pass a point of no return where no amount of logical persuasion will convince them that they should leave you alone.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've read this one before. I believe it was posted on here not too long ago. But I could be wrong.

Also goes to show that a display of force, (even over-whelming force,) is not always enough. Some people pass a point of no return where no amount of logical persuasion will convince them that they should leave you alone.

I thought the same thing. His blood alcohol was .19 and I guess there is something to be said as far as "liquid courage" goes. I like what he says about the fleeing aspect and the how fleeing sort of got the perps into a rage by the time they caught up to him.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If anyone wants my opinion, that entire story is... embellished to the extreme.

Gary Fadden is a salesman for HK, and among the rest of their firearms, he sells machine guns. In the truck with him is a competitor's weapon he has acquired to test, a Ruger AC556, the selective-fire assault version of the .223 Mini-14. He grabs it now as he throws open the truck door, hoping to hold them off at gunpoint. lie knows his fiancee can't make it to the building's door now, and he screams to her to get down on the floor of the Ford.
    The Shooting
    The passenger is running toward him, an average size man in ratty clothes with stringy hair, a long beard, and an expression of absolute rage.
    The selector switch and manual safety of the AC556 are in two different locations. Gary has not yet fired this weapon and, though he has taken off the safety, he doesn't know whether the switch is set for semi, three-shot burst, or full auto. He yells "Stop or I'll shoot," points the muzzle upward, and pulls the trigger for a warning shot.
    The weapon is set on full automatic. Everything is going into deep slow motion, and Gary is aware that the Ruger spits a burst of nine shots before he can get his finger back off the trigger.
    There is no effect whatsoever. The attacker is still running at him, perhaps ten yards away and closing fast, reaching for knives at his belt with each hand. The assailant screams, "F*** you and your high powered rifle! I'm gonna kill you motherf***ers!"
    And Gary Fadden has run out of time. He lowers the Ruger, points it at the charging knifer, and pulls the trigger one more time. in the ethereal slow motion of profound tachypsychia, Gary can see the spent .223 shells arcing lazily out of the mechanism. He stops the burst, aware that six shots have been fired, as the man in front of him falls heavily to the ground.
    Gary moves quickly, putting a big brick planter between himself and the onrushing pickup as cover. The truck stops and the driver, the larger of the two bearded men, shrieks. "F*** you! You killed one of the brothers! You shot him, you motherf***er!"

Does anyone HONESTLY believe that they said these words?

Or that the "Shell casings lazily arched out of the mechanism" in slow motion?

The guy is a MACHINE GUN SALESMAN.

Pretty good story to boost sales eh?

Lot of "hollywood-esque conversation" and "AWESOMESAUCE" in that story.

"You killed one of the brothers!"

Give me a break.

"OMG. YOU KILLED KENNY! YOU BASTARDS!"

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Give me a break.

Well, it is Massad Aboob after all. He reminds me of one of those guys that always has to be the center of attention, loud and obnoxious. You can't read any article by him without having to hear how he took this months test gun and went and won the world championship with it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Give me a break.

Watch "Rashaman" by Akira Kurosawa. Everyone embellishes and tells the story differently. One incident. Three witnesses. Three variations of what happened, each one accurate from each persons perspective. I thought everyone knew that. Sorry.
    Apparently there was enough evidence that this took place to have a trial so it appears that something may have happened that day involving a weapon and a dead attacker.

I often, when describing a classic sxs shotgun or a smith and wesson revolver say that it closes up "Like a bank vault." It really doesn't but I say that. I sometimes say it's "Colder than a witches heart" even though I have no idea how cold a witches er uh heart actually is. "Slicker than snot on a doorknob", "If I was any better I would be twins", etc.... I think writers use these things when writing a story. I am okay with my favorite Muslim gunwriter using artistic license when telling a story.

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    A core-shot "maybe" impacting the CNS won't bring him down ...

... but I'll venture that both knee-caps, or hip-joints or a throat hit with about any caliber will stop him, or change his trajectory and intentions. Center-mass hits can be iffy under pressure. EBG

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

Give me a break.

I am not a big of Ayoob's writing style. His flair for the dramatic is often over the top. The information that he imparts, in between colorful adjectives and dialog, is pretty good though.

The shooter in this story put somebody, who desperately needed shot, in the ground. It's his story and he can tell or have it told it anyway he pleases. He WAS a machine gun salesman and it sounded like he left his employer soon after the incident on less than happy terms. I doubt he gives 2sh!ts about H&K's current sales numbers.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    ... but I'll venture that both knee-caps, or hip-joints or a throat hit with about any caliber will stop him, or change his trajectory and intentions. Center-mass hits can be iffy under pressure. EBG
    I serously hope you're not advocating aiming for the knee-caps when in a deadly encounter with a knife weilding drunk biker charging at you... :dunno:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I serously hope you're not advocating aiming for the knee-caps when in a deadly encounter with a knife weilding drunk biker charging at you... :dunno:

I think he was advocating stopping the threat. If the only shot with a chance of success is the knee-cap area, hell yeah, that's where I'm shooting. Why are you getting so hung-up on that statement?

Tim1911

Marksman
    Rating - 87%
    20   3   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I like the fact that he points out that fleeing just enflames the predatory instincts. Good point for people to realize for those who are against standing your ground. Nothing is ever 100% for every situation or bad guy.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    His writing style sells books and gets him speaking engagements, I don't mind it. Seems like quite a few typos though.

Fortunately I'm cheap and do't have Class III weapons but good advice none-the-less for being prepared.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, if I can spot typos, they're pretty flagrant. I did enjoy the story though. Just my luck, if I were late to work and mashed the gas a little, I'd get stopped way before 22 miles.:)

Top Bottom