• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I am okay with my favorite Muslim gunwriter using artistic license when telling a story.

As far as I know he is only Arabic, not a "Muslim". Even if he does practice Islam, identifying someone solely by their religion in a sarcastic tone is rather disrespectful, both to the religion and the person. Making an assumption based upon someone's ethnicity is even more so.

Anyways, can you imagine how that trial would have gone today? The mainstream media would have a heart attack!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As far as I know he is only Arabic, not a "Muslim". Even if he does practice Islam, identifying someone solely by their religion in a sarcastic tone is rather disrespectful, both to the religion and the person. Making an assumption based upon someone's ethnicity is even more so.

Anyways, can you imagine how that trial would have gone today? The mainstream media would have a heart attack!

He is my favorite Muslim Gun Writer. Period.

Making an assumption that mentioning someones faith must be sarcasm is rather disrespectful, both to the religon and the person. Making an assumption without having all of the facts is even more so.

If he practiced Satanism and lopped off chicken heads before spreading the blood on a Pentagram made of candles I would say he is my favorite Satanic gun writer without a touch of sarcasm. The man has an ability to get to the legal meat of self defense in a fashion that even a simple man like me can follow. If you think someones religon matters maybe this is not the country for you. We have many religons here and they are practiced so freely that we feel no chill when mentioning someones faith in a sentence. (Except on INGO it appears.)

I am sure in the backwaters of Afghanistan right now an educated (because he reads English) Muslim is reading an old copy of Guns and Ammo they found at an abandoned American camp and saying, "You know, I like this Elmer Keith. I think he is my favorite Infidel gun writer." and as the other Mujahdeen nod their heads in agreement, there is one sensitive little fellow who says, "I don't know why you have to be sarcastic and bring up Mr. Keith's religon." At which point two of the others, maybe three, remove their shoes and toss them at the sensitive fellow for being such a Fascist Hippie when their buddy was just trying to compliment Mr. Keiths writing ability.

My inlaws are in town from Argentina and they brought some excellent cheese. Perhaps I can send you a slice to go with your whine?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Making an assumption that mentioning someones faith must be sarcasm is rather disrespectful, both to the religon and the person. Making an assumption without having all of the facts is even more so.

If he practiced Satanism and lopped off chicken heads before spreading the blood on a Pentagram made of candles I would say he is my favorite Satanic gun writer without a touch of sarcasm. The man has an ability to get to the legal meat of self defense in a fashion that even a simple man like me can follow. If you think someones religon matters maybe this is not the country for you. We have many religons here and they are practiced so freely that we feel no chill when mentioning someones faith in a sentence. (Except on INGO it appears.)

I am sure in the backwaters of Afghanistan right now an educated (because he reads English) Muslim is reading an old copy of Guns and Ammo they found at an abandoned American camp and saying, "You know, I like this Elmer Keith. I think he is my favorite Infidel gun writer." and as the other Mujahdeen nod their heads in agreement, there is one sensitive little fellow who says, "I don't know why you have to be sarcastic and bring up Mr. Keith's religon."

First the word is religion. Second, why even mention Mr. Ayoob's religion? It's the same as saying Samuel L. Jackson is my favorite black actor. Why do you feel the need to add this qualifier?

How many articles written by "Muslim gun writers" do you read? If the answer is one then calling Ayoob your "favorite Muslim Gun Writer" is much of a compliment, now is it? No, it's more of an insult. Can't you just say, "Ayoob is (one of) my favorite writer(s)"?

Added:
    Oh, cheese from your Argentinian inlaws? Yes, please!!

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    ^
    dang.
    hatin' on qualifiers.

You're by far the most tightly-wound INGO member with cyrillic writing on his profile that I've interacted with today.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I am sure in the backwaters of Afghanistan right now an educated (because he reads English) Muslim is reading an old copy of Guns and Ammo they found at an abandoned American camp and saying, "You know, I like this Elmer Keith. I think he is my favorite Infidel gun writer." and as the other Mujahdeen nod their heads in agreement, there is one sensitive little fellow who says, "I don't know why you have to be sarcastic and bring up Mr. Keith's religon." At which point two of the others, maybe three, remove their shoes and toss them at the sensitive fellow for being such a Fascist Hippie when their buddy was just trying to compliment Mr. Keiths writing ability.

My inlaws are in town from Argentina and they brought some excellent cheese. Perhaps I can send you a slice to go with your whine?
    Do you know for a fact he is a muslim? You do know there is a difference between someones ethnicity and their faith, correct?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ^
    dang.
    hatin' on qualifiers.

You're by far the most tightly-wound INGO member with cyrillic writing on his profile that I've interacted with today.

images

For the record, I'm not accusing indiucky of racism or any other -ism. All of his post seem rather sane.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Good read happy he did not get in trouble. He should have killed everyone in the car no witnesses then.

:popcorn:
    Is anybody gonna...No? Well OK.

Really? Seemed to work out fine for him without resorting to 1st degree murder. He shot until the threat was eliminated and then stopped. Go a step past that, you will go to jail and deserve it.

And another thing to keep in mind; if you are ever involved in a shooting, some lawyer is gonna dig up every stupid thing that you have ever posted on the internet and use it against you. Just sayin'.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    :popcorn:
    Is anybody gonna...No? Well OK.

Really? Seemed to work out fine for him without resorting to 1st degree murder. He shot until the threat was eliminated and then stopped. Go a step past that, you will go to jail and deserve it.

And another thing to keep in mind; if you are ever involved in a shooting, some lawyer is gonna dig up every stupid thing that you have ever posted on the internet and use it against you. Just sayin'.

I've mentioned that before. It actually happened here - An INGO'er shows up in court and the prosecutor has printouts from INGO. And if a prosecutor doesn't have color copies then all that purple ends up in black and white.

Also, as for the hero of the story, it worked out in the end. Having to go to court for homicide isn't OK in my book. The worst it should have gotten was to a grand jury who should have dismissed charges. But, Ayoob's stories always end with the good guy getting to stew in hot water for some time before a happy ending. I mean, he is a defense witness after all, so if there's no trial he's out of a job.

Right or wrong, at least he makes you think outside of the normal timeline and situation.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Do you know for a fact he is a muslim? You do know there is a difference between someones ethnicity and their faith, correct?

Yes I do. Mr Ayoob wrote a very good op ed right after 9/11 where he talked about his faith. I said he is my favorite Muslim gun writer because he is my favorite Muslim gun writer. It's not a put down or sarcasm to id someone by their ethnicity or religon. When purchasing a firearm we have to check our ethnicity. Why is everyone so down on Muslims on this forum or think that their religon is something to be ashamed or not mentioned? At best it's only 10 % that want to kill us so why paint the others with this broad brush to where even mentioning someones faith amounts to a call for censorship?

Whats amazing is this started because a couple of people were putting down Massad's writing style and I was defending him. I said he is my favorite Muslim gunwriter because Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Jeff Cooper are my favorite gunwriters but...Massad is my favorite Muslim gunwriter. He is also my favorite writer (just writer because this is a much narrower subject) when the subject is law and self defense. As stated earlier, I think no one and I mean no one out there writing today has the knowledge this man has regarding self defense, the law, and how it pertains to us. We will never know but I believe there are people not in jail today because they had the good sense to read his work and act accordingly. I remember once when I was getting ready to have a gunsmith remove the magazine safety on a Browning hi power and Ayoob"s voice popped up in my head. The magazine safety stayed.

Anytime someone says "My favorite" they are narrowing the field. Our differences in ethnicity, religon, region, country, rural, urban etc... enable us, while still using our language to make statements like "Maya Angelou is my favorite black poet." "William Faulkner is my favorite Southern writer." "Chuck Berry is my favorite Black musician." "Bjork is my favorite Icelandic singer", "Skillet is my favorite Christian Rock Band." etc...

I think it's okay to do this. I do not think people that do this are crazy or bigots. I think it's human nature because the canvas is so broad in America and throughout the world that we paint ourselves in a box when we don't narrow down our favorites by whatever means we choose.

I was going to say Massad Ayoob is my favorite gunwriter but I knew that would not be accurate due to the many gun writers I have enjoyed over the years. I tacked Muslim on because that was a more accurate statment. I stand by it but I will apologise to those who think that I was putting him down. I was not, anyone who knows me and has seen my gun library knows I was not and anyone that somehow equates "Islam" or "Muslim" as a slur may need to take some sensitivity training. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    First the word is religion. Second, why even mention Mr. Ayoob's religion? It's the same as saying Samuel L. Jackson is my favorite black actor. Why do you feel the need to add this qualifier?

How many articles written by "Muslim gun writers" do you read? If the answer is one then calling Ayoob your "favorite Muslim Gun Writer" is much of a compliment, now is it? No, it's more of an insult. Can't you just say, "Ayoob is (one of) my favorite writer(s)"?

Added:
    Oh, cheese from your Argentinian inlaws? Yes, please!!

Actually Forrest Whitaker, followed by James Earl Jones are my favorite black actors. Clint Eastwood (with Sean Bean coming up fast) are my favorite white actors.

How is being Muslim an insult? Seriously. How can someones religon be considered an insult? I am not being a smart alec. I can't wrap my brain around someones religon being considered an insult.

They actually call themselves Argentine. They call us "Yanks" by the way. My wifes cousin once asked if Americans thought that was an insult and I answered, "Only south of the Ohio river prima....And the further south you go...The more of an insult it gets to be.":D

It was actually quicker to write "My favorite Muslim gunwriter", than "My favorite gunwriter that writes on the subject the law and self defense and how it pertains to us." Being as how I am now being labeled as some sort of narrowminded redneck for my laziness maybe I should edit my post lest I offend others sensibilities. I hate to say this but...I am smoking a cigarette inside my gunshop as I type this....Man. I am a terrible and insensitive human being...

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    there had to be more to this case than given in this story.. a gun dealer chased to his work by armed gang & he gets charged?

back in the early 80's i know there was a huge anti gun & anti MG movement.. but this was a pretty clear case..

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yes I do. Mr Ayoob wrote a very good op ed right after 9/11 where he talked about his faith. I said he is my favorite Muslim gun writer because he is my favorite Muslim gun writer. It's not a put down or sarcasm to id someone by their ethnicity or religon. When purchasing a firearm we have to check our ethnicity. Why is everyone so down on Muslims on this forum or think that their religon is something to be ashamed or not mentioned? At best it's only 10 % that want to kill us so why paint the others with this broad brush to where even mentioning someones faith amounts to a call for censorship?

Whats amazing is this started because a couple of people were putting down Massad's writing style and I was defending him. I said he is my favorite Muslim gunwriter because Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, and Jeff Cooper are my favorite gunwriters but...Massad is my favorite Muslim gunwriter. He is also my favorite writer (just writer because this is a much narrower subject) when the subject is law and self defense. As stated earlier, I think no one and I mean no one out there writing today has the knowledge this man has regarding self defense, the law, and how it pertains to us. We will never know but I believe there are people not in jail today because they had the good sense to read his work and act accordingly. I remember once when I was getting ready to have a gunsmith remove the magazine safety on a Browning hi power and Ayoob"s voice popped up in my head. The magazine safety stayed.

Anytime someone says "My favorite" they are narrowing the field. Our differences in ethnicity, religon, region, country, rural, urban etc... enable us, while still using our language to make statements like "Maya Angelou is my favorite black poet." "William Faulkner is my favorite Southern writer." "Chuck Berry is my favorite Black musician." "Bjork is my favorite Icelandic singer", "Skillet is my favorite Christian Rock Band." etc...

I think it's okay to do this. I do not think people that do this are crazy or bigots. I think it's human nature because the canvas is so broad in America and throughout the world that we paint ourselves in a box when we don't narrow down our favorites by whatever means we choose.

I was going to say Massad Ayoob is my favorite gunwriter but I knew that would not be accurate due to the many gun writers I have enjoyed over the years. I tacked Muslim on because that was a more accurate statment. I stand by it but I will apologise to those who think that I was putting him down. I was not, anyone who knows me and has seen my gun library knows I was not and anyone that somehow equates "Islam" or "Muslim" as a slur may need to take some sensitivity training. It is nothing to be ashamed of.
    My post was a simple one. No accusations were made. I did infact do a google search to try and determine Mr. Ayoob's faith and did'nt come up with anything in my limited search hence the reason why I asked. I won't even ask you for a link to prove your claim. Carry on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hate to say this but...I am smoking a cigarette inside my gunshop as I type this....Man. I am a terrible and insensitive human being...

I hope, for the love of Pete, there are no children, employees, pets, or customers in your carcinogen filled shop! :D

I hate PC. Sorry. I shouldn't hate. I wish we lived in a world devoid of PC;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ....Man. I am a terrible and insensitive human being...

For the record, I don't think you're racist or insensitive - but you are a bad speller. I just found it odd that you called out Ayoob's religion, then you jumped on Joshua for questioning you about it. I have nothing against being Muslim, I just didn't understand why you mentioned. I think you explanation is reasonable - we've discussed it enough. :horse:

Now back to the article.

Someone mentioned that the shootee yelling "F U and your automatic gun", is improbable. I disagree because I've had a subject yell at me, "I'll take you gun and shoot you with it!" Never under-estimate stupidity. A reasonable person would back down when confronting a gun and a clear situation where continuing there course means the likelihood of death. Criminals are not reasonable.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For the record, I don't think you're racist or insensitive - but you are a bad speller. I just found it odd that you called out Ayoob's religion, then you jumped on Joshua for questioning you about it. I have nothing against being Muslim, I just didn't understand why you mentioned. I think you explanation is reasonable - we've discussed it enough. :horse:

Now back to the article.

Someone mentioned that the shootee yelling "F U and your automatic gun", is improbable. I disagree because I've had a subject yell at me, "I'll take you gun and shoot you with it!" Never under-estimate stupidity. A reasonable person would back down when confronting a gun and a clear situation where continuing there course means the likelihood of death. Criminals are not reasonable.

I am not really that bad a speller. Am I? If I responded to every post I thought "odd" on INGO my hands would cramp. I have slight dyslexia and have trouble with "ie" "ei" "io" and a few others. I can usually work it out but I don't always catch them. What word did I mispell so I can practice on it? Thanks in advance. Chalk up the other to cultural differences. Being a mile away from Louisville means many people and many people mean many different faiths and ethnicities. The schools sometimes even put their denomination in their names, i.e. Catholic schools, Jewish schools, Muslim schools, Christian schools etc... etc...It's just a part of life here and no one holds anyones religon against them or considers the mentioning of it as a put down or being sarcastic. Oh and please don't post the "dead horse animation" this close to Derby. I feel less confident about my pick now.:)

A nice classy response from you though. Thanks. Here is some Rep for you. I also would have said "I think your explanation" rather than "I think you explanation" but who am I with my spelling to correct anyone?

Rick

Last edited:
    Top Bottom