• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    About 6 months ago I was driving downtown and there was some motorcycle thing going on down at the circle. I was trying to find a place to park for a colts game and when I went to change lanes a biker was behind me and I cut him off (on accident). I understand the biker had every right to be mad as he zoomed next to me giving me the finger. Then we came to a stoplight and he got off his bike and came to my window cussing at me and then hit my window. I was not carrying a gun at the time due to I was heading to a colts game. Now just about anywhere I go I am carrying. How much further would have that situation had to have escalated for me to use self defense? For the future I would like to know if something like this happens do I draw my gun when he comes to my window (not taking a shot) or do I just not try and do anything until he trys to do something harmful to me? Or if I have the doors locked but he try's to break in the car is that enough to shoot?

Thanks

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Always try to get away first. Don't wave your gun, but you can put your hand on it.

Yells and hits the window: drive away as best you can, but no need to endanger yourself.
    Opens the car door or breaks the window while stuck in traffic: blast his teeth out the back of his head.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's ALL situational.

As long as you're in your car and the "whoever" is outside your car...you're safe.

Approaches your car with just fists? You're safe up to the point a window is broken (which may be 1 punch, it may be 5, it may be never)

Approaches your car with a bat/crowbar/etc in order to hasten access to you? I'd have drawn and been pointing. OR - now listen close - DRIVE AWAY. Driving away is the best that can be done.

Everything is situational. There is no "right" answer.

How much defensive handgun training have you had, by the way?

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    It's ALL situational.

As long as you're in your car and the "whoever" is outside your car...you're safe.

Approaches your car with just fists? You're safe up to the point a window is broken (which may be 1 punch, it may be 5, it may be never)

Approaches your car with a bat/crowbar/etc in order to hasten access to you? I'd have drawn and been pointing. OR - now listen close - DRIVE AWAY. Driving away is the best that can be done.

Everything is situational. There is no "right" answer.

How much defensive handgun training have you had, by the way?

I haven't taken any defensive handgun training. I have been around guns all my life and know a lot about them and shooting just never have done any defensive training.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I haven't taken any defensive handgun training. I have been around guns all my life and know a lot about them and shooting just never have done any defensive training.

Interesting.

You should invest in it.

Actually, all who reads this thread should invest in defensive handgun training.

Especially those who have been around guns all their lives and know a lot about them. Because, honestly, you probably don't know as much as you think you do.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    Interesting.

You should invest in it.

Actually, all who reads this thread should invest in defensive handgun training.

Especially those who have been around guns all their lives and know a lot about them. Because, honestly, you probably don't know as much as you think you do.

Is there any you would recommend?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'm pretty sure there is a class that goes over just defensive law and what to do when involved in such an encounter. I personally have not been to it, but I've seen people post about it on here. Maybe Guy teaches it? I know there are some super active members who have attended and will be along. Maybe Camera Monkey?? You there man?

I am not saying to not pursue defensive handgun training and learning to better use a pistol. Many even cover use of deadly force and things. However, going to something just about it would also be beneficial I'm sure.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    Do not escalate the situation . Drive away as quickly & safely as possible. You said it was a"biker thing going on".
    Just think what may happen if you do otherwise , with many bikers around.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Drive away IF you can. Otherwise I think I'd get the gun ready. A person pounding on your window IMO is assault and not acceptable.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I attended a class taught by Guy Relford on 02/18. He said if you are carrying a gun, do not become involved in any road rage situation whatsoever. Indiana allows self defense for the unauthorized entry of your vehicle, but if you can safely exit the situation it is highly recommended you do so.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Drive away IF you can. Otherwise I think I'd get the gun ready. A person pounding on your window IMO is assault and not acceptable.

It doesn't meet the statutory definition of assault (battery in Indiana). Its not acceptable, but just pounding on the window doesn't call for shooting someone.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

Start with Adaptive Consulting and Training. ACT. INGOer Obijohn is the one to contact. INGOer rhino can also assist. Adaptive Consulting & Training: Welcome to Adaptive Consulting & Training

If you're on the Facebooks, look up Praetorian Concepts. Small (but growing) 1-man training company out of the Crawfordsville area. He's squared away.

For classes about Indiana law and the like, then look at Tactical Firearms Training / TFT / Guy Relford. Tactical Firearms Training He does law classes AND some live-fire shooting.

Then there's classes with INGOer Coach (Aron Bright) out of Parabellum shop/range in Avon. https://parabellumfirearms.com/classes/pistol-classes/gun-handling-101/#

Best bet: Visit and peruse the Tactics and Training sub forum here on INGO. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/

Invest in the software.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    No doubt about it. Get training! You probably do know a lot because you've been around guns for years. But you may not know what you need to know and you likely don't know what you don't know. I'll expound if you need it but I'm 100% for getting training from a professional and then annually at a minimum.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It doesn't meet the statutory definition of assault (battery in Indiana). Its not acceptable, but just pounding on the window doesn't call for shooting someone.

I agree pretty much with your comment. How about extenuating circumstances though? I am a senior with health problems and would be a pushover for any younger male with an attitude. Ditto for my wife who is presumed to be with me. Do I just sit and let the guy bust my window and try to pull me out of the car?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Uncle Joe Biden suggests two shotgun blasts through the door...
    Give 'em both barrels, THEN argue with him!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I would just like to point out this reply, which has earned a rep from me.

Initial comment "I know a lot about guns, been around them all my life"
    Other member suggests training.
    No argument, no puffing up and insisting he knows enough.... just, "What do you recommend?", indicating he's open to learning more.

I love it.

There is, just to clarify, no sarcasm in this post. The reply I see above is the best one to that suggestion. Well done, sir.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom