• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If I'm traveling, what actually counts as a "container" to store my firearms. Can it be a backpack?

Depends on how the law / rule is written. For instance, a backpack wouldn't pass the TSA requirements since they state a hard case that is able to be locked / secured.

Where are you traveling (State?) and how are you getting there?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Let's say I'm driving my car throw IL and may or may not be stopping at a motel and I want to keep a "pistol" in a backpack. Is that acceptable under the law?

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    If I'm traveling, what actually counts as a "container" to store my firearms. Can it be a backpack?

The answer depends on what law applies to where you are transporting "to and from", and method of transport (air or ground).

This might help re. car transport: FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS . I do not know what the definition of an approved container is for the federal ground transportation laws. A TSA container might meet the requirements for federal ground transport. IANAL, so don't quote me.

At one time, years ago (?), a paper bag with a staple in the top was deemed a "secure, closed container". A backpack with a small lock on the zippers to that compartment also qualified. That was decades ago. This last paragraph is probably no longer accurate.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Redhood
    Top Bottom